Duck Surprise

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by pattin, Mar 27, 2012.

1. pattin

pattin New Egg

Mar 23, 2012
    I took my ducklings out for their daily walk yesterday. It was chilly and very windy so we didn't stay out long. We ambled down to my pond and the ducklings dabbled around the rocks and played. I kept hearing the loud stressed peeping of baby ducks but mine were doing there usual quiet duck chatter. Across the pond I could see the brush moving and out popped 2 mallard ducklings swimming like crazy to join my little flock. My duckies are about 2 weeks old these little guys are about half the size of my ducks and very timid. I saw a pair of adult mallards on the pond up to last week but the male has flown an I beleive the female is nesting in my blackberry bushes. She nestered their last year and raised 22 ducklings in my pond. It's way to early in CT for ducklings to hatch and I have absolutely no idea where they came from. They have settled and are eating the crumbles and drinking water. I walked all over the woods behind the pond looking for a nest but found nothing. They seem content,happy and are putting on weight.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Hey, glad you took them in!

I'm in your part of the country, too. I do what I can to help the wild critters with these insane weather changes. So far, no ducklings needing shelter, though.

May you all enjoy a blessed time together. Please keep us posted on how things go. And if you can upload photo's, you know many if not all of us love to drool over duckie pics!

[​IMG]

3. agregg15

agregg15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Connecticut
    Poor babies :( At least you were able to find them and take them in. It must be difficult for the animals with this crazy New England weather. I can't believe it went from 70F to below freezing in a week or two. Oh yeah and [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Thank goodness you were there to rescue them. Keep us updated on how they get on.

5. Goin Quackrrs

Goin Quackrrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2012
    Western Washington
    I'm so happy you took them in! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by