Duck that is staggering and cant stand up

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chatychick, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    I have a female duck that when she trys to stay witht he others she starts staggering and falling over...I am not sure what is causing this and she eats fine when she gets to the feeder...She will start walking and fall over and the get up and fall over again to the point to where she will just sit still for a while and then try again...she is better in the mornings and it seems to get worse as the day goes on..I hate to see her struggling so hard and dont know what is wrong ..any suggestions as to what is causeing this? Thanks

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Could be she is injured. Do you have a drake that mates her roughly?
    Does she have something stuck in her foot?
    I would separate her in her own area, deeply bedded and watch her poop and how much she eats and drinks. Examine her feet and feel her legs for hot spots. Look under her wings for wounds. Feel her abdomen for swelling. Is she panting?

Can you take her to a vet?

3. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Went out to check on here this afternoon and she had died , a friend I talked to said it sounded like it was her nervous system. I guess she just gave up...at least she isnt in any pain now ...

4. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I am so sorry. Toxins can cause nervous system problems, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by