Duck that thinks its a dog or maybe rooster???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SportTees, Jan 26, 2009.

1. SportTees

SportTees Chillin' With My Peeps

Here's a little background- When I got the duck as a chick I also had a new litter of puppies so I put the duck with the puppies until they started chewing on him. Them I seperated them with a fence. The duck still layed right next to the pup's. That was last summer now I have a new puppy and the duck tries to play with him. They run back and forth down the fence line chasing each other. I wish I could get a video I really think the duck thinks hes a dog! He even tries to bark?? He is really tame and will eat out of your hand. If he gets out of his fence he goes right back in if you say in your cage. For the last couple months we have had a rooster and yesterday I saw the duck standing on his tippy toes flapping his wings at the rooster while the rooster stared like what are you doing. Do I have a really confused duck or is this normal?

2. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    I really don't have an answer for you. I just wanted to say that our dog acts like it is one of the chickens.

He gets roght in the middle of them, and eats scratch off the ground. Hangs with them all day, kind of odd.

3. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    I think the cute flappy tipey toe wing thing is normal i've seen lots of duckies do that
    but chasing the puppy is adorable hehe

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Your duck wants FRIENDS. He just isn't picky about who he befriends. Get your duck a duck!

5. SportTees

Quote:I tried getting him a girlfriend but I don't think he likes her

6. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    A video of that would be so much fun! What a cute duck playing with a pup! [​IMG]

7. clhbubba

clhbubba Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Oklahoma
    I had a Muscovy hen that was raised with chickens. I got her some duckie friends and she thought they were aliens. Only wanted to be with her chickens. She would lay next to them and preen them. So sweet.

8. SportTees

Quote:Maybe its just a duck thing- Cute anyway though

9. wasatusay

wasatusay Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    South Carolina
  10. SportTees

Quote:Cute - duck definitely have personalities

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by