Duck things!! HELP please?!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AshleyNicole06, Nov 28, 2017.

1. AshleyNicole06

AshleyNicole06 Songster

Nov 19, 2017
    Iowa
    Rescued a male duck.. now my 3 drakes are acting shy and my biggest one isn’t really fond of him he pulls on his feathers.
    Is this normal behavior? I know they’re not used to him yet. I don’t know if they ever will. My poor babies!
    Will adding this duck change their whole routine? Like coming in at night? And letting us hold them? Playing together? Being happy?
    And I also think the new one has a broken wing? Or had?
    Anyone know what kind of duck it is? I posted a few pics of him and then a few of the wing...
    Thank you!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    Brahma Chicken5000 likes this.
  2. 17 chickens

17 chickens Crazy Chicken Math

Jul 11, 2016
    Chattaroy Washington
    it's a cayuga drake, He looks very nice besides the wing... Do you have hen's in this pen with the guys? Hes I mean female ducks.

3. kesrchicky16

kesrchicky16 Songster

Dec 13, 2016
    I know very little but @Ravynscroft, @WVduckchick, @chickens really might know better. Also that looks kinda like angel wing I was reading about. How old is he? And are there females? This is important info.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  4. MillersFarm

MillersFarm Easily distracted by Chickens

Jun 3, 2016
    Lewiston NY
    My Coop
    He is a cayuga drake, And for his wing I need clearer picture but what from I can see it just looks like a few flight feathers out of place due to maybe trying to get out of something or trying to fly? It doesn't look broken and well for the whole Drakes getting along that's something you'll have to wait for. They may get along they may never. Your old drakes probably see him as a threat to their territory. I'd give them a little time first.

5. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Separate him in a look no touch pen for a week..They look at him as an intruder..
    A better picture of the wing would help..It does look like flight feathers..

6. Keep them separated and yet keep him caged for a week or so so they can get use to him being in the same area. They are like any animal that is protective of their females and their area. They should work it out. It should not change their behavior as far as you handling them or coming back to the coop.

Tlmcq and Brahma Chicken5000 like this.
  7. AshleyNicole06

AshleyNicole06 Songster

Nov 19, 2017
    Iowa
    I don’t know how old and no females

8. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Like others said, just give them lots of time to get to know each other... better pics of his wing would help, but it does look like he had angel wing that wasn't corrected... it doesn't hurt them, just the tip of the wing is twisted the wrong way when he folds his wing so they stick out...
    You can't wrap it at this time, but I did hear of someone fixing angel wing in an adult when they molted... I'll look for the info for you...

room onthebroom and sourland like this.
  9. AshleyNicole06

AshleyNicole06 Songster

Nov 19, 2017
    Iowa
    Info would really help! Thank you!

Ravynscroft likes this.
  10. AshleyNicole06

AshleyNicole06 Songster

Nov 19, 2017
    Iowa
    No girls. Yes his wing looks painful.. but he still flaps them so I don’t think it’s broken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: