Duck Tipping

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by rainplace, Sep 5, 2009.

1. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Tonight I followed my ducks and geese into the duck pen, picked a corner, got comfortable and sat still. It was a great night! I found out that my geese like to be held and nibble at my clothes and hair. They talk real soft and take turns. I noticed my first female silky, Sissy, is still a bully and likes to take occupied spots. They must be prewarmed or something.

And then I saw that my new drake, Apollo, likes to participate in duck tipping. Three of my silkies do the standing on one leg, tuck their bill in a feather sleep thing. Omar, a drake silky, has his rear end pointed to Apollo, and Apollo casually takes his bill and tips him. Hrmmm... must be a fluke. Apollo slowly walks to the new female, I think her name will be Chloe, and tips her too! It's just this gentle nudge. You want to know what happens to a duck, at least a silky duck, when they are tipped? They act drunk. They sort of crawl around trying to figure out what happened. Takes them about 45 seconds to get reoriented. Apollo lays down near the silky camp and starts preening. Omar gets back into tipping position. Apollo tips him again!

The silkies never figured it out, and I had a hard time not busting a gut. No one gets excited. I don't think any of the ducks but Apollo even know what's going on!

I look forward to other nights of hanging out in the duck house watching what they do.

Is it crazy that I want to set up a cot in there and sleep a few nights?

2. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    That's too funny!

Ducks are a riot.

3. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    sounds like fun do you have a video camera, it would be a hoot to see the tipping

4. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Oh please get video!

[​IMG]

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    And all these years we were chasing cows! [​IMG]

Thanks for a great laugh!

6. L0rraine

L0rraine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    Wow - I can waste incredible time 'observing' my ducks (it is SO therapeutic!) - but I've never taken it to the lengths you have. I AM impressed! AND awed and it sounds like such an AMAZING! thing to have observed. I say - "keep it up!"

You may have to sneak in a camera with video capability next time.

7. L0rraine

L0rraine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    Cheese! a ton of us just read this and reacted all at the same time.

8. thecochincoop

thecochincoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Video please that would just be too funny to watch [​IMG]

9. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    LOL. [​IMG] Not something I've seen our ducks do. Maybe it's a silky thing. Definitely try getting a video clip.

10. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

I wish I had video [​IMG]

All I have is a crappy camera

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by