Duck to drake ratio

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 4 MimisPeeps, Jul 31, 2013.

1. 4 MimisPeeps

4 MimisPeeps Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2012
    Stamford, CT
    Was wondering everyone's opinion on the ideal drake to duck ratio.
    I have a drake near 5 months old (got his curly tail feather) and wanted to get 2 females. The woman who has some said 4 - 6 females would be better. I positively do not have time or room for 6, not even sure about 4 more.
    Anyone out there have a thought on this?
    Thanks!

2. cristylove89119

cristylove89119 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2012
    Grafton, Ohio
    They always say the more the merrier, but a 1 to 2 ratio isn't bad it just depends on the drake. Some drakes tend to over breed with the girls while others have a laid back approach to it. I would say it just depends on the drake. Sorry I am not much help [​IMG]

3. MissusDee

MissusDee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    I have 3 males to 5 females right now, and it seems fine. I have had 1 drake with 2 females before.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  4. Nyssa03

Nyssa03 Chillin' With My Peeps

I think it depends on the drake. I had one runner drake who kept 6 ducks busy and tried to breed the geese also. For the sake of the girls I think more is probably better.

5. TDSLP

TDSLP Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2013
    Kelseyville, CA
    Hi, I have 3 standard size ducks and 1 call drake. Thinking about adding another one to my flock. I'm wondering if a duck or drake (standard or call) would integrate better? Thanks

6. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Generally speaking 2-3 per is the minimum but it does depend on the drake and the birds in question, my calls for instance i don't have that ratio. For larger breeds i think it's better to have more. Mind you right now i am messed up as i have 7 drakes and 13 ducks. That is only because of the excess boys from this years hatches.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by