Duck treats?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Alaska animal lover, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Alaska animal lover

Alaska animal lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Palmer, Alaska
    My two female Khaki Campbells are eating non-medicated chick starter. Can I give them some treats? What do they like? Do they need grit like chickens?
    Thanks in advance.
    This is the only picture I have right now. Any guesses to age?
    [​IMG]

2. TerrasCritters

TerrasCritters In a new coop

Oct 24, 2007
    Dark Green Lettuces, Meal Worms, other soft veggies, bread are some favorites!
    Some grit can probably be good, I did not start using it until lately for my adult birds because I switched to only whole grains.
    Good luck and adorable!

3. bigredsowner

bigredsowner Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2008
    they like apples, greens, clover, dandilions, worms, bread, lettuce, corn,
    I feed my ducks corn along with greens and fruit.

4. Alaska animal lover

Apr 30, 2008
    Palmer, Alaska
    Thank You!!!
    Does it matter what age they are to start giving them treats?

5. bigredsowner

bigredsowner Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2008
    not sure if age really matters. maybe try diceing some apples really small or using a food processor to chop them and add them to the chick starter. this will make it sweet and more temping for them. I think you would be pretty safe giving them stale bread , bread crumbs, crumbled crackers, and greens. I would suggest mixing the chick start with them if your ducks are still pretty young because the chick starter has a lot of nutrients that they need to grow and stay healthy. Hope I helped you![​IMG]

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    you helped me...lol...was wondering the same..thanks..Wendy:D

7. dragonshiner

dragonshiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Hey Alaska. I am raising ducklings for the very first time, Khaki Campbells as well, as a matter of fact. Mine are going on five weeks old and the one in your pic looks to be what mine were at about three weeks. If you can still hold them with one hand then they are less than four weeks LOL! They grow really fast!
    I've actually been giving them some bread pieces, they like it in their water, and chopped lettuce, also in their water. I've also been tossing them some corn just in the grass and they are very happy to guzzle it down.
    As far as grit goes I have been going by what Storey's Guide to raising Ducks says and giving them only a very small amount right now. They do need grit, like chickens, to help digest thier food. When they get older I am going to make certain that they have free choice grit and food in their housing.

8. Alaska animal lover

Apr 30, 2008
    Palmer, Alaska
    Thanks everyone!
    My girls thank you as well:)

We need a duck smiley!

9. I too say about 3 weeks. Get ready, they are about to shoot up!

My 3 girls and boy (Persephone, Morgana, Tinkerbell, and Stripey) are about 6 1/2 weeks old right now and are so big! They are almost completely feathered save for their wings/flight feathers which are just pin feathers right now.
    I really love my Khaki Cambell ducks.
    I have one lone KC girl coming on Friday because the hatchery left her out of my last order. I have a feeling she's going to be awfully spoiled being the only one in the house in a brooder while the cornish rocks and turkey poult are in the garage brooder. [​IMG]

Oh and my ducks love old fashioned oats, right out of our hands...

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  10. kodiakchicken

kodiakchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Kodiak, Alaska
    Alaska -

So glad you got duckies. You're going to love them! At what cuties too! I would guess 2-3 weeks on age. I think mine started to feather out by 3 weeks of age. They are now (gulp!) over 5 weeks. How quickly they grow!

We've been letting ours outside since they were about 2 weeks old for evening walks and swims in the kiddie pool. They absolutely LOVE it and now demand it! It's been raining the last three days and they are soooo mad that I haven't taken them outside.

The love dandelions and go crazy over those funky horsetail (not to be confused with Mare's tail) weeds that are in the yard. Last night I fed them some raw corn off the cob and they went nuts. They usually won't let me touch them and they were practically knocking each other down trying to get to me.

They also enjoy fresh grass sprouts and alder tree buds. Watch them in your flower beds - they'll go after everything! The only thing I really can't get them to eat is the orange hawkweed, darnit!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by