Duck treats

fowl farm

Songster
7 Years
May 9, 2012
What are good duck treats? So far all I've given mine is lettuce and when we mow I dump the grass clippings in their pen (which, by the way, they love! They forage in it and nest/sleep in it during the day)

I don't know if this is true with ducks, but grass clippings are VERY bad for horses. They ferment VERY quickly and become toxic. Or so I was told many times. And a vet concurred. So, I'd be careful with them in the duck pen at least until I checked into it further. JMO.
I give chopped carrot (only a hit with a few), shredded cabbage, PEAS, any kind of cut up greens (except iceberg) or the stems from the greens that I might be cooking (chard, kale, etc.). I have tried cheerios, but my ducks look at me like I am nuts, so I quit that. But, hands down, peas are the favorite.

I don't know if this is true with ducks, but grass clippings are VERY bad for horses. They ferment VERY quickly and become toxic. Or so I was told many times. And a vet concurred. So, I'd be careful with them in the duck pen at least until I checked into it further. JMO.
I give chopped carrot (only a hit with a few), shredded cabbage, PEAS, any kind of cut up greens (except iceberg) or the stems from the greens that I might be cooking (chard, kale, etc.). I have tried cheerios, but my ducks look at me like I am nuts, so I quit that. But, hands down, peas are the favorite.
Hmmmm. Well, they haven't died yet! I don't think they eat it, but I'll check. Thanks

grass clippings will ferment if they are damp, and piled up high. If you sprinkle them in, or sprinkle them into their drinking water or pond, it would be just fine.

quackinhuggable- I don't really know why not iceberg, but what I was told was that the water content is so high it gives them diarrhea. Now, personally, I would say, how do you know when a duck has diarrhea? And they drink water a lot. So, the no iceberg thing doesn't really make sense to me. But since I don't buy it for us anyway it is easy to skip feeding to my ducks. Maybe someone else has another explanation.
If you want to have a good laugh, thaw some frozen peas and start tossing them to your ducks. It took mine a few minutes to catch on, but when they did, look out! Just a riot to watch them. All of them go crazy when they see us coming with the pea container.

grass clippings will ferment if they are damp, and piled up high. If you sprinkle them in, or sprinkle them into their drinking water or pond, it would be just fine.
Because they play and rest in it, it gets spread around pretty quickly.

Back
Top Bottom