duck tries to roost every night

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by horsejody, Sep 17, 2009.

1. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I have one duck. She and my Marans rooster are inseparable. He roosts on a very low roost to accommodate his lady love. He is the only rooster in that pen so I know he could roost on the highest one if he wanted. The duck tries to roost next to him every night. She tries to curl her webbed feet around the rung but usually ends up resting her chest on it with her legs straddled on either side. When she was younger, she would cram herself into a nestbox with a broody hen. She does have other sleeping options. She can choose from nest boxes, a dog crate, the straw covered floor or the roost. During the day she and the rooster are always side by side. It's funny because she seems to be constantly nagging him. If he mounts one of the chicken hens, she becomes frantic and quacks in ear and pulls his neck feathers. When she gets in the pool, the rooster stands next to it and waits for her to get out. Once, when the water was low, he waded in but decided he didn't like it and got out.

[​IMG]

2. 1stepcloser

1stepcloser Poultry In Motion

Sep 16, 2009
    Dover, TN
    Aww! That is the sweetest love story every!! [​IMG]

3. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

That is so cute. [​IMG]

4. kingmt

kingmt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Mason WV
    [​IMG] I have a few ducks & still have one strange duck that thinks it can do as the chickens & she is right. When all the other ducks are on the floor nesting she is roosting about 2' off the ground. There is days I go out side & see here perched on something no wider then 1/2" thick. She is the only one that does it & always stays close to the other ducks. I do have one drake (I think it is the same one) that tries to fallow her but he falls off.

I guess I have strange birds because the Cornish x Rocks I had roosted & foraged also which seems to be rare.

I would post a pick of the duck perching but she seems to be camera shy because every time I see her do it & go to get the camera she will jump down.

5. Cherlyn

Cherlyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    Hahahahahaha! [​IMG]

~Cherlyn

6. L0rraine

L0rraine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    This one kinda puts a lump in my throat.

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    No barrier is too great for true love...LOL

8. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    That is funny.

9. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    That's adorable [​IMG]
    How about giving them a low 4x2 board with the 4 inches laying flat, that way they can both roost together.

10. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    aww I would give them somthing wider too. Thats to cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by