Duck troubles:(

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Jo-Anne White, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Jo-Anne White

Jo-Anne White Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2013
    Rustenburg, South Africa
    Hi guys, firstly I have a pair of white Peken ducks & a pair of Mallards which are mating amongst each other is this normal? shouldn't the be sticking to their own breeds?

Anyway this is the 1st time my peken is laying she has laid four eggs in the same nest & then started sitting for almost a week then she just left it & wont go back I took the eggs the next day & put them in my home made incubator will they still hatch, or am I wasting my time?

Also do you think they are fertile being her first time & all? When mating with her partner she kinda does a little dance & he responds with a little dance of his own she then lays down & he gets on with it, but with the mallard she puts up a fuss its more like a rape, I have heard that the duck can "abort" kind of if she didn't want the mate in the first place is this true?

Thanks Jo[​IMG]

2. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

Hello Jo and Welcome. Hopefully an experienced duck person will be along soon. If you haven't already, you may want to copy and paste your question over in the duck forum.

3. Jo-Anne White

Jo-Anne White Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2013
    Rustenburg, South Africa
    Thank You[​IMG]

4. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! x2 on the Duck forum :)

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC! X3 on the Duck forums, good luck with your guys.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]Happy you joined!

7. cypressdrake

cypressdrake Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2012
    Thibodaux, Louisiana.
    If you want mixed breeds that's o.k., To them a duck's a duck. but if you want to keep pure breeds, which I would recommend, I would separate them.

Teenagers and youngsters are playing with loaded guns, so fertility is good after the first few eggs, with a drake present.

I would candle the eggs after a week to 10 days, you should see some sure signs of fertility if it's good. Good luck, and [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  8. chickenboy190

chickenboy190 Overrun With Chickens

May 31, 2013
    Ohio
    [​IMG]

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Seriously doubt that the 'abort button' exists. Pekins are a mallard derived breed - mating with the mallards will produce fertile crossbreds.

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by