Duck trust

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by rouenduck87, Mar 23, 2017.

1. rouenduck87

rouenduck87 New Egg

Mar 16, 2017
    Michigan
    Just wondering how long baby ducks act scared of you when you pick them up or are next to them my duck is almost two weeks old any feed back I have been holding spending time with the duck letting it swim in a tub gave it some applesauce and yogurt as a treat just acts skidish when I go the pick him up or reach near him is til normal thanks for feed back

2. someguyhere

someguyhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2016
    my ducklings always scatter when i come around . if i set them and myself on the floor they will come to me. I just dont think they like being picked up in the air. my adult ducks are the same way, they are nervous like the ducklings if i make fast movements but they usually chas me around because they know I bring the food lol. but they are the same way if i pick them up they kinda freak out but if I get down on the ground i have one that will climb in my lap. the others will let me hold and pet them as long as im not moving and the closer to the ground the more relaxed they are.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  3. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    I spend at least an hour each evening sitting on the floor of the brooder and letting all the ducklings come to me. And they sit on my lap, let me pet them all over, and dont freak out at all when i pick them up.
    When i got them at a couple days old they were very skittish. But i put my arm and hand in the brooder for periods of time so they wouldnt be scared of my hand. I feed them treats from my hand. At a week old they went into the coop brooder and its big enought for me to sit with them. I love it:)

4. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    [​IMG]
    And they are runner ducks and khaki campbells. They are so sweet. The last ducklings i raised were pretty skittish so i have made sure to spend alot of xtra time with these guys

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Also Ducklings all seam to go through a faze, I call Ginger Man syndrome ...lol..;)

They run away and act like your going to kill them...It does not last long, then they are calm again....:)

Keep on doing what you have been...:)...They will come around ....:)

Cheers!

6. rouenduck87

rouenduck87 New Egg

Mar 16, 2017
    Michigan
    Okay thanks I have been doing all that also getting better it I let him see my hand first and not move for couple minutes then I can reach and pet him just wanted to see if that's normal thanks

7. rouenduck87

rouenduck87 New Egg

Mar 16, 2017
    Michigan
    Okay thanks for the info much appreciated

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by