duck trying to mate chicken

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by agilman, Jun 17, 2016.

1. agilman

agilman Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2016
    About 5 months ago I purchased 6 chickens and 2 ducks. The share a hen house that's big enough for all of them. I habe a male and femal duck. My drake seems to think the only buff orphington in the group is a female duck. He keeps chasing her and grabbing her by the neck and dragging her around. He tries to mount her but is unsuccessful. I feel bad because if I'm tossing treats he chases her away and then she just goes off alone and avoids him. She starts squawking and running away when he gets near her. And then he chases her until he catches her. Has anyone else ever had this problem? Is there anything I can do? He doesn't do this to any of the other hens and I have 30 of them in all.

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Welcome to BYC! I have a few that do that, and it's a hard habit to break, so would be best to put the two ducks in their own pen, because if you don't separate him, it's possible that he will fatally injure your chicken some day.

-Kathy

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    X2...You need to keep the ducks separate all the times. The drakes have very long "equipment" and will kill your hen. They can also drag them into the water and drown hens. So keep the ducks in their own area. :)

4. agilman

Feb 23, 2016
    I can pen them separately but they are free range all day.

5. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Free range is great as long as the hen can get away. he will end up injuring your hen or killing her.
    Dont you wish it was so simple??
    I sure do...Everyday is a new challenge with birds!

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    My naughty drake injured one of mine... I'll see if I can find a picture of the damage he caused.

-Kathy

7. Quackalackin

Quackalackin Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2016
    Oregon
    I'd seperate the ducks for a bit, even if that means taking them off free range. Then after a week or so try reintroducing them and see if he loses his obsession

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Definitely worth a try, but I tried that with mine and he was back at in in no time.

-Kathy

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  9. agilman

Feb 23, 2016
    I have a 20 by 20 chicken run that I use for smaller chicks to play in. But I don't have smaller chicks so the 2 ducks are going in there. And I separated them from all other birds tonight. If they don't stop I will just rehome them. I love my chickens. The drake chases me ( which is funny) aND my girl runs from us keeps to herself.

10. agilman

Feb 23, 2016
    Well I have one hatching! Glad I didn't throw them all away!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by