Duck tucking her head and not socializing

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DeniseV, Jul 1, 2016.

1. DeniseV

DeniseV Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2015
    I have a 3 month old female that only wants to sit with her head tucked in her feathers and she isn't socializing like she usually does. She's even letting me fuss over her more than she usually does. I tried to give her food, she took some but then started acting like she was choking or something. She has been sipping water but this behavior is very strange for her. Any thoughts? I'm worried she may be sick but I'm not sure what to give her. A vet visit is too expensive right now... :(

2. gal5150

gal5150 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2016
    California
    At this point it really could be anything. Any way you can get ahold of her and do a bill to web check? Pain can cause this behavior, as well as a myriad of other things. See if you can give a good once over and let us know what, if anything, you find and we can go from there......

3. DeniseV

Sep 14, 2015
    [​IMG]Here are some photos. The only thing I can find is this patch under her wind that is right where she is tucking her head. I can't tell if it's gooey from her mouth resting there or from the feathers having an infection. There is no blood and it is a semi-thick like fluid but doesn't seem to be puss. I looked closely at the feathers under her wing and it doesn't appear to be an infection (no redness that I can see) but I'm not sure what an infection would look like on a duck either.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. gal5150

Mar 30, 2016
    California
    Well that does make it difficult, doesn't it?! So when you say head tucking in the original post, are we talking about what's she's doing in the pic? Fantastic pics, by the way. Indeed, the goo could be from her mouth. Are you able to clean the area.....flush it with water to see if the goo washes off or has a "source" on the body? That would be my next step. How is she walking, normal posture, body, neck, and head? Since there is nothing else remarkable that is visible, let's try to rule out an injury where the goo is, as well as neck, crop, issues...

5. DeniseV

Sep 14, 2015
    Yes the head tucking is what she's doing in the picture. I've cleaned the are and don't see any source on the body. She's walking, and seems to have normal posture etc. She just seems to want to rest her head and not want to socialize. Her beak does feel warm to me and I'm not sure how to tell if her crop is the problem. I'll need to do some research on this. Would that cause a possible fever?

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    You might be able to afford taking a stool sample to the vet and have it tested. It costs about $20 here.

She could have a systemic infection, an egg-laying system problem, or something else.

Are there drakes and have they been starting to try mating?

7. DeniseV

Sep 14, 2015
    There is one possible male khaki campbell but it's only 2 months old and we are just guessing he's a male. Will she lay eggs if there isn't a drake around?

8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Yes, they don't need drakes to lay.

9. gal5150

Mar 30, 2016
    California
    The reason I asked about the neck and crop was because she seems to be resting the neck in what appears to be an awkward position while standing but clearly, due to that spot of goo you found, it's comfortable to get. Fever/hot bill......I realize I completely forgot to ask what your outdoor temps are?

Our temps are quite high and cause some odd behaviors when the heat is spiking.

Stress can cause warm bill. How about her feet? Are they hot?

10. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Before you think fever, feel the bills and webs of the other ducks first... their body temps run a bit higher than ours, plus in those places the veins and blood are closest to the surface so it usually feels warmer to us...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by