Duck Vaccination

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 18angovem, Jan 15, 2015.

1. 18angovem

18angovem Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2014
    Warren Pennsylvania
    Hi, I want my flock to stay healthy, become npip certified, and provide vaccinated ducks to buyers but went to but vaccines and saw that they have like a million. Which ones should I buy? ere should I buy them from? I want a mareks vaccine because of a mareks disease problem I had with my chickens a few years ago. I also want to have as many other Thanks! vaccines I need. I also don't know how to administer them. Do most of them come with instructions? If you guys have any advise I would love to hear it.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    According to the poultry site, Marek's is a chicken and occasionally turkey disease. I have not heard of it affecting ducks.

Ducks are not as prone to illness as chickens, though I have heard of a few vaccines that owners of large flocks get… I will check tomorrow and see if I can find the reference. It was in Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks.

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Vaccinations or shots are best taught by a real person and not online. However, it depends on how confident you are.

4. 18angovem

Jun 15, 2014
    Warren Pennsylvania
    Wow I didnt know that mareks doesnt affect ducks here I was like keeping the chickens in fort nox to keep them away from the ducks but there was nothing wrong. Ok, I have just seen and heard of vaccines and wanted to make sure I was doing what I needed to. But if I dont need to vaccinate I wont.

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks, First Edition (the one I have) mentions four vaccines, and I want to emphasize that these are not recommended for backyard flocks, but rather mentioned toward the end of the treatment sections for the four diseases, usually stating, "sometimes used by commercial producers." The primary treatments usually mentioned are all good hygiene practices.

duck virus enteritis (used by some commercial farms)
    duck virus hepatitis
    fowl cholera
    Pasteurella anatipestifer

If it were me, I would look thoroughly into this from a variety of sources - ag colleges, vets, Cornell I think still has a duck lab. I was told - please verify for yourself - that NPIP was primarily for chickens and turkeys, not waterfowl. But that was a few years ago.

That is all I know - incomplete, but perhaps it can give you some ideas.

Gotta run!

6. 18angovem

Jun 15, 2014
    Warren Pennsylvania
    Well I need to be npip to ship ducklings to many states....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by