duck very unsteady on her feet the last few days

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jasonm11, Sep 14, 2011.

1. jasonm11

jasonm11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    I need some help with my duck. She is about 6 months old seems healthy in all respects until the last few days. She is very unsteady on her feet like she is weak or her balance is messed up. She is very alert and her demeanor does not seem to have changed but she has a very hard time getting on her feet. She works to get to her feet and will flap her wings like crazy to try to help her maintain her balance and run to the other end of the yard to eat. Any ideas? One thing I just thought of I feed my flock 30% feed as UI am raising turkeys, the ducks go around the yard eating anything they can find but that is the main source of feed.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Could hse have possibly eaten something in the yard that has caused Botulism? How does her poop look? You might want to put her into a small area till she get back 100%. And that way you can keep a better eye on her. Is she eating and drinking ?

3. jasonm11

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    not sure about poo, but she is eating and drinking and seems normal except her balance off.

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Still might want to keep her somewhat confined till she walks better that way she would cause futher injury to herself. I still wonder if she could have eaten something, or check her ears real good. Bleenies ducks had an ear infection sometime back and they can cause unbalance when walking. you could also add some molasses to her water once you have her confined and that is suppose to help remove any kind of toxin that she may have eaten. Works like a laxative.

5. jasonm11

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    thank you I will give her some in the morning.

6. jasonm11

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    anyone have any ideas?? she loved teh molasses water by the way

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:How does she seem today? I was just reading about someone else who had thought their duck may have botulism, they reccommended Cholestyramine Powder oral suspension, first time I ever heard of it. but we are just making a guess on your girl, this duck had all the classic signs.
    this is about a chicken but it's the molasses flush thats on this link you can read. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=417796
    and
    this is the one just posted this morning about the duck https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=572278

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  8. jasonm11

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    Quote:How does she seem today? I was just reading about someone else who had thought their duck may have botulism, they reccommended Cholestyramine Powder oral suspension, first time I ever heard of it. but we are just making a guess on your girl, this duck had all the classic signs.
    this is about a chicken but it's the molasses flush thats on this link you can read. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=417796
    and
    this is the one just posted this morning about the duck https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=572278

she is friendly and alert, just not able to stand steady. her mate is standing guard over her, so cute. I hope she comes around as i dont want her mate chasing my chickens any more than he already does. [​IMG]

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    and

she is friendly and alert, just not able to stand steady. her mate is standing guard over her, so cute. I hope she comes around as i dont want her mate chasing my chickens any more than he already does. [​IMG]

So she is eating good and has normal poos? and you haven't noticed any improvement at all? you've looked at the bottom of her feet real good? don't notice any swelling or tenderness when feeling over her legs? could she have jump off of something and injured her back and this is causing her to be wobblie? do they ever fly up onto things? what breed is she?

10. jasonm11

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    Quote:she is friendly and alert, just not able to stand steady. her mate is standing guard over her, so cute. I hope she comes around as i dont want her mate chasing my chickens any more than he already does. [​IMG]

So she is eating good and has normal poos? and you haven't noticed any improvement at all? you've looked at the bottom of her feet real good? don't notice any swelling or tenderness when feeling over her legs? could she have jump off of something and injured her back and this is causing her to be wobblie? do they ever fly up onto things? what breed is she?

she is a mutt runner mix I think. I have inspected her legs and feet and see nothing wrong. She never has left the ground, occasionally she would run and flap like crazy but never gets off the ground. she does not seem to be in pain so im not sure about injury. normal poo and eating patterns from what i can tell. I ahve only the 2 ducks, 15 turkeys and about 2 dozen chickens in the yard so I generally dont see who is messing where.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by