Duck vibrating?

DuckLover179

Waddles & Puddles
9 Years
Nov 28, 2010
California
Okay, so the ducklings live outside now. In 2 days they will be 5 weeks old. I was playing with Waddles and holding her, when Puddles came over. Puddles rested her head on my lap, and started vibrating. In my duck book she says it is common MALE behavior, when they want to mate. Now I DO know she wasn't cold, because me and Waddles were keeping her warm, and we were under their brooding lamp. She would only vibrate if I pet her head after that. Now I'm not sure if this is regular adult duck behavior, or if SHE is a HE. I can post of video of her quacking, she quacked WAYYY earlier than Waddles (Waddles is still learning to quack) and she is loud like a female.
hmm.png
Any ideas???

My Khaki and a buff I had a long time ago (both females) did this. So did some mallards (both genders) I helped take care of at a wildlife rescue and my male Indian runner. It happened when someone wanted to mate, or run away from me, or wanted special treats, or were acting territorial, or wanted a snuggle. There was no rhyme or reason to it; I just figured it happened to both genders or mallard derived breeds when they got overly excited about one thing or another.

Last edited:
My females both do this - I think its hilarious! They vibrate for a short while then lunge at me and give me kisses! It's definatly not just male behaviour!

Just wait till they are older and get feathers to tell male from female. Males get a curly feather on their tail. As for the vibrating, don't worry it is normal for all ducks.
smile.png

pekinduck<3er :

is that an aggressive act by lunging towards u? my female does the same

No, I mean she bites (actual biting, she grabs my skin, and pulls it until there is a bruise.), but she has never lunged at me... They are mostly scared of me. Hoping it's affectionate.​

Back
Top Bottom