Duck vomitting water

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckiebubbles, Jun 15, 2016.

1. duckiebubbles

duckiebubbles Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2016
    Missouri
    We have six week old Kahki Campbells that seem super healthy. My girl Clover is a super lovey girl who enjoys an evening cuddle before bed (no, seriously... she loves cuddles).

But tonight while holding her she started vomitting clear liquid all of a sudden. She did it several more times too.

Could she be sick or maybe just drank too much water? She seemed fine up until then. Ate her dinner (boiled peas in warm water) vigorously right before, but it was only water that came up.

Please help!

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    What else do they get to eat? How often? Ducklings need starter crumbles, with drinking water, 24/7.

I know some folks start restricting their food after six weeks or so - - - what else is going on in her life?

3. duckiebubbles

May 4, 2016
    Missouri
    They have access to grain and grit. They eat in the yard... grass, clover, worms, ect. Then in the evening we give them a small bowl of boiled peas (previously frozen) in water. Same as we have done evert day since they were three days old.

Im sure they could pick up things in the yard I dont know about but I cant imagine what.

4. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    Was it just after picking her up?

5. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Sometimes they can eat things that clog up their systems. Is the tummy area swollen looking? I am not good with technical biological terms - the front of the breast, under the neck.

6. dotknott

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. dotknott

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    My thought is that if you picked her up putting pressure on the crop you can make a duck vomit. In my experience it's mostly water. So bizarre.

I've also had duck do it too themselves if they step off something and face plant hard enough.

I don't know that this is what happened, just hoping it's not illness.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  8. duckiebubbles

May 4, 2016
    Missouri
    Doesnt seem swollen. I had just picked her up for the second time. I had been holding her, then put her down to hold a different duck. She came back (she seriously likes cuddles) and I picked her up again and she started doing it about a minute later.

She doesnt seem weak or anything though. Im so worried because I really love this duck!

9. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Better to be concerned over a little thing than miss something...can you offer her just a tiny bit more of a snack, see how that goes? Is she pooping?

1 person likes this.
  10. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

It probably is from the cuddles..Don't pick her up for a few days and see how it goes.
    The last meal is water and peas...Do not be overly concerned. Also no need to boil the frozen peas. I just run water over them to get them defrosted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by