Duck vs. dog

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by newchickontheblock, Jul 6, 2008.

1. newchickontheblock

newchickontheblock Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2007
    We have a 5 y/o lab, 2 pekin girls and 1 mallard drake that are 1 y/o. The drake is CONSTANTLY chasing the dog. Just started doing it this spring. For the most part the dog has fun but I know she gets tired of never being able to lay in the sun in peace. Most of the time I put the drake in time out in the fenced area. The dog has never been mean to the drake to provoke the attacks. The drake will litterally seek out the dog and chase her. Anyone else had this problem?

2. Karlachix

Karlachix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    NorthEast
    I haven't had this problem, but it's such a funny picture! Poor dog. [​IMG]

3. WrenAli

WrenAli Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Lebanon, OR
    My In Laws had a drake that would eat out of the dog's bowl and hiss at the dog when he came hear. The dog had been taught not to kill fowl.

But one day they came home and the duck was dead by the food dish. Couldn't really blame the dog. He didn't harass the other ducks.

4. newchickontheblock

newchickontheblock Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2007
    It is a riot. If I taped it I know I'd win $10,000! The dog has "rolled" the duck a few times but the drake is too stupid to know the dog could kill him if she really wanted to.

5. kodiakchicken

kodiakchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Kodiak, Alaska
    My ducks are about 10 weeks old and for the most part they leave the dogs alone (the dogs could care less about the ducks). However, now and then, if the dogs get too close two of the ducks (ironically, not the dominant ones) will go after and chest butt the dogs. It's funny to watch because it scares the dogs to death! One of the dogs is a little 11 pound boston terrier but the other (the one that gets the most scared) is a 70lb golden retriever mix. Not sure what gets into the ducks to do that.

They will seek the chickens out to do that though.

6. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    You need to keep the duck away from the dog. You can't train a duck to stop aggravating the dog, but if you don't protect the duck from himself, the dog will teach the duck a lesson the duck will not be around to learn. Sooner or later the dog will have had enough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by