duck vs winter time..

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Evelle, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    okay so this will be my first time with ducks and having a waste land of snow and ice.. what am i going to do!!!!
    how do anyof you duck people deal with water and your ducks since my pond will be iced over what and how are they going to bath themselves!!
    any advice would be loved thanks [​IMG] !!!!!

2. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    I bring my ducks warm water every morning, when I get home from school, and before I go to bed, I only give them enough to drink and take a quick bath if they want to. If your ducks have access to a pound just take a axe and take a big chunk out of it so they can have access to the water under the ice.

3. Evelle

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    so you gave them warm water twice a day?? what did you have the water in? our pond freezes all the way through so they will not have it in the winter.

4. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    Oh no what I mean is I give them warm water every morning before I go to school, then as soon as I get home from school, and right before it gets dark. I keep their water in a rubber pan that is just deep enough for them to submerge their whole heads under water (I have calls so that’s not much water) I use rubber ones so they don’t bust when the water freezes and expanse, sorry to hear about the pond freezing all the way maybe you could find some big rubber pans and use them, they really work nicely for me [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  5. bwmichaud

bwmichaud Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    I use the rubber pans too. I fill it in the morning and the ducks come out and drink and splash around. In the afternoon or evening, I flip it upside down and kick the bottom to get the frozen block of ice out of it and refill it again. I fill it with a plastic pail that is about 2 gallons or so.

6. Evelle

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    THANK YOU!!!
    that help a little with the stress thats about to start now that the night are getting colder... i sware i saw frost this morning [​IMG]

7. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    BIRD BATH HEATERS! Could not do Maine winters without them! And heated dog dishes. Saved a lot of slogging thru the snow with buckets of hot water.

8. chikky

chikky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    Glenmont, Ohio
    Quote:Definitely agree! So nice for them to always have water to drink/rinse, no matter the weather! My calls spent most of their time last winter in the pool - I think because it was the warmest place in the pen (used a stock tank heater). They would hop onto the heater and balance on top of it - funny. The heated dog dishes are excellent too.

9. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I have a winter shelter that stays above freezing. They don't have swim water much in the winter - some days, I can swing it but it's a project. But their first pot of water in the morning is mostly used to splash and clean themselves. Then I change it in the p.m. and they drink more of that.

10. aduckstolemyheart

aduckstolemyheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri
    We have a stock tank, with a drop in tank heater. Works miracles. They always have swimming water above freezing. I also keep my hose inside and attach it to the kitchen sink to refill so I dont have to haul water. I also second the heated buckets, I use those for drinking water and night water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by