Duck want chicken ???????

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by trixieanderson, Jan 28, 2014.

1. trixieanderson

trixieanderson New Egg

Mar 13, 2012
    Bonney Lake, Washington
    Hello, I have a odd situation I have had our pet silkie rooster for awhile and the hen actually hatched my duck eggs. So they are the adopted parents to my ducks. I have a male duck which is now chasing my silkie rooster everywhere. Why is he doing this? Is this normal? They are not together anymore cause I don't know what the duck will do. Does anyone know why? Thank you......

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Some drakes are just out to hop on someone, and sometimes they seem to obsess about a duck, a chicken, another drake, or a roo. You are right to protect the others from him.

They can kill a chicken due to equipment mismatch.

3. ShinShien

ShinShien Overrun With Chickens

Oct 1, 2013
    Alabama
    They can?

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    That is what I have been told.

5. stephen k

stephen k Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2013
    Ireland
    Can ducks and hens that live together upset the laying process?me and my gf hav our ducks and hens in the 1 coop and they get on wel.we hav 13 hens,2 roosters,3 khaki Campbell girls an 2 boys but not an egg in well over 2 months!if any1 could help it would be appreciated![​IMG]

6. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Could be the seasonal break. My standard hens ceased for a bit, they are slowly resuming. My ducks stopped late Oct and usually start back come Feb. Your ratios are tricky though that's a lot of drakes for 3 ducks...

Generally speaking 2-3 per is the recommended, plus i have no doubt roosters and drakes could fight over dominance. How do the birds seem otherwise? health, appearance, behaviour etc.

7. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Probably a dominance thing, he has no ducks of his own? doesn't matter if it's his mama eventually sexual maturity takes over so he may want her over the rooster, that as Amiga said can cause death to a hen. They are not compatible equipment wise.

Tell me more about the flock dynamics. [​IMG]

8. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan

X2 Perfect Words there Amiga!!

9. scottgun

scottgun New Egg

Jan 16, 2014
    This reminds me of something I saw at the pond yesterday. The muscovies are in residence but we get quite a few mallards that come and go seasonally. One of the juvenile scovies grabbed a mallard drake by the tail feather and would not let go. It was funny.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by