Duck was killed

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mommaduck0416, Jun 30, 2016.

1. mommaduck0416

mommaduck0416 New Egg

Jun 30, 2016
    I had two pekin Ducks, my female was killed last night and now my male won't stop quacking if he's left alone. I brought him inside for the night and will continue to do so until my fiancé puts a roof on the top but I'm pretty sure it was a raccoon her head was ripped off and chest was ripped open. I'm worried about my male duck, he won't eat and won't sleep. HELP!

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Aw poor guy, I don't know much about ducks but, if you post on the "Duck threads," they would be able to tell you if it is better to wait awhile to get him a new companion or do it now. Maybe the same age or younger. They would know best if your duck will accept a strange bird. Maybe if you give him a stuff toy for now, he will at least cuddle with it.

Raccoons are savage killers and will be back after getting an easy meal. Are you allowed to shoot them or trap them on your property? They can dig, climb, jump down from branches and with their opposable thumbs can open any latch a human can. Their determination, cleverness and brute strength pretty much get them anything they want.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    How is he tonight?

They can go into shock.

An unbreakable mirror may help. Electrolytes and vitamins in the water a few times a week can help, too, and just TLC and talking to him.

Look around for a friend or two, and yes, don't put him back where he will be vulnerable. Predators return.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by