duck was stuck in fence, need first aid tips

Jen_Allen1394

Hatching
Apr 26, 2018
Hi there! I'm Jen, and I'm brand new here, although I've stalked the forums before to get answers for previous questions.I've had my flock for 2 years now. I need your help, I've got pekins, mallards, khakis, and a few 'mutts' in my flock of 14. I've got 4 drakes and the rest are hens. They normally get along fine but well, its breeding season and the drakes are a touch more aggressive than normal. I think what must have happened is one of my smallest hens was laying and one of the drakes spooked her. She got her poor head stuck in one of the openings of the fence that makes up the run. Unfortunately the only reason her head fit through is she managed to get the bottom wire of the fence in her mouth, with the top of her head wedged under the top of the box the wire formed. I'm not sure how long she was stuck there, but it was definitely some time during work because I had changed their water before leaving and she met me at the door of the run then. I had to cut her out of the fence. I couldn't find any blood and her beak doesn't appear cracked at all, but she's got deep depressions on both sides of her head where her beak meets her head and she's still not holding her head right. She'll talk just a bit but I can't get her to eat anything and its been 24hrs. I'm worried sick about her, any advice? Ill try to upload a picture of the depressions on the side of her head from the fencing wire.

Thanks for the replies!! I thought I had uploaded the picture, but apparently not. I think I've got it now. You can see the depression in her as a long black mark at the corner of her beak, joker-style. I've tried treats, but she refused them. I've got pellets soaking in water in order to string feed her if necessary, but she's not quite straightening her neck all the way and I definitely don't want to force that, nor do I want to choke her by syringe feeding her if the food cannot pass safely down her throat.

Attachments

• 0426181904_HDR.jpg
    0426181904_HDR.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 47
Saline wound wash. Spray her with that stuff while she is in water. My ducks got hurt once and we put them in our sink. We sprayed saline wound wash and blue kote on them. You can get blue kote at your local TSC

Hi there! I'm Jen, and I'm brand new here, although I've stalked the forums before to get answers for previous questions.I've had my flock for 2 years now. I need your help, I've got pekins, mallards, khakis, and a few 'mutts' in my flock of 14. I've got 4 drakes and the rest are hens. They normally get along fine but well, its breeding season and the drakes are a touch more aggressive than normal. I think what must have happened is one of my smallest hens was laying and one of the drakes spooked her. She got her poor head stuck in one of the openings of the fence that makes up the run. Unfortunately the only reason her head fit through is she managed to get the bottom wire of the fence in her mouth, with the top of her head wedged under the top of the box the wire formed. I'm not sure how long she was stuck there, but it was definitely some time during work because I had changed their water before leaving and she met me at the door of the run then. I had to cut her out of the fence. I couldn't find any blood and her beak doesn't appear cracked at all, but she's got deep depressions on both sides of her head where her beak meets her head and she's still not holding her head right. She'll talk just a bit but I can't get her to eat anything and its been 24hrs. I'm worried sick about her, any advice? Ill try to upload a picture of the depressions on the side of her head from the fencing wire.

Oh, I'm not that worried about putting her in the sink. I washed her beak and neck down yesterday and this afternoon with saline, but I dont know that she's physically been cut.
give your duckies Exra cuddles. And the blue kote stuff will stain her blue for a while but it will eventually come off. If it doesn’t (mine never came off. And this was months ago when my ducks got hurt.) then all that matters is that your ducks safe

Back
Top Bottom