Duck waterer....what's the best solution?

TheChickenTender

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2018
As all of you duck owners know ducks are extremely messy when it comes to drinking and they tend to muddy up their water very quickly. That being said I have fought in vain to find a watering solution that will give them continuous fresh water In a system that will not clog with mud. I have seen a few things here and there about homemade watering systems with a Built-in float but I'm not engineer minded enough to create this on my own. Do any of you have a system like what I'm describing or have you seen a good link that you can direct me to for step-by-step instructions? I am so frustrated with the commercial waterers out there!

coming from an aquarium hobbiest the best way ive found to have constant water changes is a drip system with an over flow

You get a constainer and drill and attatch an overflow at the height you want the water

Then have fresh water drip into it, as it drips in and fills the container, it runs out the over flow... See how long it takes to the container to fill with drips then you will know how many times an hour the water is changed

Altho this wouldnt get the sediment off the bottom, but as the ducks stirr it up alot would get drained out

If somehow they drank all the water theyd just have to wait for it to refill

As all of you duck owners know ducks are extremely messy when it comes to drinking and they tend to muddy up their water very quickly. That being said I have fought in vain to find a watering solution that will give them continuous fresh water In a system that will not clog with mud. I have seen a few things here and there about homemade watering systems with a Built-in float but I'm not engineer minded enough to create this on my own. Do any of you have a system like what I'm describing or have you seen a good link that you can direct me to for step-by-step instructions? I am so frustrated with the commercial waterers out there!

This is what I have. After I bought it I used it as a kit of parts to make what I described, really nice to see it work.

https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/...MI4LPt79mR2wIV01uGCh3VAwprEAYYASABEgI4u_D_BwE

How messy are regular ducks? My muscovy aren't that messy. I have a kiddie pool, a waterer, and a container of water. The only mess is that they put their food in the water and it makes the water messy, so it has to be emptied and containers rinsed (and cleaned weekly).
I keep my water areas pretty much contained too. Maybe that makes a difference?
What is messy right now is that it keeps raining and isn't giving any time for my ground to dry up!
In this pic, you can see on the right that I have their kiddie pool and a water set up inside a shaded dog kennel. Their food is also set up in there in a container that hooks on to the sides of the kennel (but I am getting a new feeder soon and it will be elsewhere).
If you look to the left by their playhouse, I have another small container (blue) of water for them.
20180429_162907.jpg

Back
Top Bottom