Duck Waterer

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Peep-Chicken, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    I have a young duck and two young chickens inside. The duck trashed the cage because she likes to splash water everywhere. It's gone within ten minutes. Is there any good waterer to try and limit this?

2. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    When the ducks are still in the brooder, i use a wide, gallon chicken waterer from the feed store. While they are little, this works way better for me than an open bowl. At least they can't climb inside. They still make the cage a mess...that is inevitable with ducks. Raising ducklings is basically a whole lot of cleaning the brooder and changing the water. They make up for the trouble in how absolutely adorable they are though :)

I would make sure to keep it as clean as possible since you have chicks with the duck. I don't know how young your birds are, but baby chicks are much more susceptible to having problems when they are wet as compared to ducks. They just wern't built to handle the level of wet a duckling likes :)

3. Peep-Chicken

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    Thanks!
    One 'chick' about three months and the other is as old as the duck. I am still sure to keep it as clean as I can with those three mess makers in a cage together lol.

4. cityfarmer12

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    No problem! Lol, have fun [​IMG] I love raising babies, but by the time they head outside, i won't lie, i am a bit relieved. But then, of course, i usually can't resist some adorable or rare breed and i have babies again. Spring is a dangerous season [​IMG]

5. NanaKat

NanaKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I set my water container on top of a screen covered shallow tub. The duck spatters end up in the shallow tub instead of the brooder bedding. The screen can be 1/2 X 1/2 inch hardware screen or 1/2 X 1 inch.

6. cityfarmer12

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    That is brilliant! I should try that with this years babies. How do they get to the container? Is it low, or do you like mound the bedding around it?

7. NanaKat

NanaKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

For the first week, i put a piece of 1x4 on top of the bedfing right in front of the shallow tub on top of the wood shavings. By week 2, they wew jumping up on their own ....just like into their nest tub. Now at 6.5 months, the tub is bigger to hold their gallon water feeder set inside a 14 inch pan in their pen they get up there easily to drink and wash faces.

8. cityfarmer12

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    Thanks! I love that idea. Ducklings go through way too much bedding in the brooder. I will try this when i get more ducks this year! Thanks!

9. Peep-Chicken

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    I found this in my dog stuff. The duck still spills some water but not as much as before. My cage right now is too small for anything fancy.

1 person likes this.
  10. cityfarmer12

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    I used to have one of these. They are really nice. I used it for a duck that was in the house for awhile due to some severe injuries. It kept my house somewhat clean, you know, as clean as possible when there is a duck wondering around [​IMG] Good idea! I didn't even think out using one for ducklings!

Good luck with your little guy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by