1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Duck waterers and feeders?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Stedman, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Stedman

Stedman Chirping

Jul 9, 2016
    I have the five gallon bucket with nipples in it for my chickens and a hanging feeder for food, is there similar setups for ducks

casportpony and Miss Lydia like this.
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member 8 Years

Ducks need a way to wash their whole faces if they want so usually buckets are best for them or something similar. its very important for their health and they need to have plenty of water when eating.

As for feeders I use goat feeders {TSC} they are long have a top which lets the ducks/poultry stick their head into eat but they can't climb into it. some use large rubber bowls but I can't because my chickens would get into them and scratch all the feed out of it.

3. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist Premium Member

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    I agree that a bucket makes the best waterer. It's pretty heavy when full and despite all the head dunking, mine never knock it over. I use a rubber bowl for food. They kinda scoop their food and I feel like a chicken feeder wouldn't work as well for ducks.

casportpony and Stedman like this.
  4. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma Premium Member

I use rubber livestock bowls for feed and water..

Stedman likes this.
  5. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchi Wan Kenobi Premium Member 6 Years

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Thirding buckets. Some people will use a hole saw to cut a hole in the side, so the ducks can reach their whole heads in to drink but can't splash the water all over and make a huge mess. These also work well because the ducks can't get into them trying to swim and poop in it, which they are likely to do with any kind of waterer that they can get into.

For feeders I make big ones out of five gallon buckets and livestock dishes that work well.

6. harmonymw

harmonymw Songster

Mar 24, 2018
    Massachusetts
    Mine have rubber livestock bowls for food and water. But they don’t have “waterers” just two pools that are just really huge livestock bowls. Maybe they also use the chickens’ nipple ones, but I’ve never seen them do it.

casportpony likes this.
  7. Soon2BChixMom

Soon2BChixMom Crossing the Road

Jan 8, 2017
    NE Indiana
    My Coop
    I am using a no waste feeder that is basically a bucket with holes in it and pvc pipe elbows. You can diy it, but I bought one. For water - right now I am using the black rubber livestock bowl. I have a brick in it for dual purpose. The ducks don't sit in the water and if they splash too much out, it keeps the bowl in place. Also, I have this set up too, but need to scrub the water tank.
    http://frankiemakes.blogspot.com/2012/06/watering-solution-for-ducks.html

I also have a pool and various other containers for the ducks to drink from in the run. I think with ducks you can never have too much water - especially when it is so hot.

8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners 8 Years

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    38d8e122_5729954.jpeg

I use this for water. One could add a feed dish as well. This keeps bedding much drier.

Lil Drake40 and casportpony like this.
  9. Soon2BChixMom

Soon2BChixMom Crossing the Road

Jan 8, 2017
    NE Indiana
    My Coop
    Are the pellets horse bedding pellets? Or feed? If horse bedding, do the ducks not eat them?

10. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners 8 Years

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I started this system after the ducks were adult. I understand the concern with ducks eating them, since some ducks eat all kinds of things bad for them

Mine show no interest in eating sawdust pellets, thank goodness. I suppose you could cover them with an old towel.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: