1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duck weed and the bird flu

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by stew1, Oct 12, 2015.

1. stew1

stew1 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2014
    I have a pond full of duck weed in my back yard and want to dry a bunch to mix with there feed but am wondering if geese can transfer bird flu through it? Might be a dumb question but ya don't know till ya ask. Thanks

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Not a dumb question at all! In fact, I don't know either...however, if you have had wildfowl in the pond, personally I would not take the chance.
    Since the USDA are at a loss as to how/why the outbreaks have occurred, I think it wise to err on the side of caution. [​IMG]

3. MysteriaSdrassa

MysteriaSdrassa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2015
    Central Wisconsin
    Highly douptfull,, especialy once it is dried. I did a lot of study and posting on this in other threads earlier this spring when the outbreak occured. AI has a relatively short viability time, meaning that it dies within a a few days if it can't incubate This time is directly linked to temperature,, that is,, the higher the temp, the faster it dies. If I remember correctly, at 70-75 it takes a week to die,, at 80 degrees a few days, at 100, several hours, etc.. It also dies off quite quickly in dry conditions so the drying would also help in killing it off IF and I stress IF,, it were contaminated in the first place.

4. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Interesting info on www.AVMA.org go to the Avian influenza FAQs' - it may help you determine whether/how you will use the duck weed. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by