Duck went Broody, eggs turned rotten, now she hasn't laid for a month!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nayeli, Sep 5, 2014.

1. nayeli

nayeli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2014
    So the title says it all. My duck went broody at under a year old and started hissing at us and sitting on her eggs. After 34 days we started cracking the eggs because they should have hatched and they were all rotten, some even exploded!

Its been around a month since the cracking of the eggs and she hasn't laid since and she was laying 5 eggs a week.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Generally, the pattern is lay, sit, molt, lay. But with each duck the time involved is different.

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Yep, agree with Amiga some just take longer to get back at it, doesn't matter they were rotten she still went through the process.. so she may come back or because ducks are seasonal be done.. my birds are ending early this year... usually they go till October but my scovies are laying less and less....

That said quite a few had clutches.

4. nayeli

Jan 18, 2014
    Still no eggs... so maybe she is done.

5. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    It's a possibility, have you physically examined her? like does she seem swollen? a prolapse? otherwise if a birds acts normal i don't worry myself to much, always keep an eye of coarse but beyond certain things ducks are very good at hiding things and sadly they cannot inform us of ailments.

6. nayeli

Jan 18, 2014
    She doesn't let me touch her, and I don't corner her and grab her unless I have to. She has been acting fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by