1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Duck with a crest problem

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ChickyMcduckerton, May 20, 2018.

1. ChickyMcduckerton

ChickyMcduckerton In the Brooder

May 9, 2018
    Hi everyone. I hope I can get some help with this.. I have a male crested duck, well duckling. He's been growing well and his crest which looked centered at first started to droop down to one side and it blocks his vision. When he was small I could put a loose scrunchie on him which would hold it back a bit so he could see and wouldn't have dirt in his eye and so forth. However now that he is getting bigger it's not working anymore. It's literally going over the hair tie and covering his eye/face. Not sure what to do now. Any ideas or advice would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Quackers3211

Quackers3211 Songster

May 18, 2018
    Could you please post a pic?

3. ChickyMcduckerton

May 9, 2018
    JPEG_20180520_172402_1629457335.jpg
    (I had to have my husband hold him. He does Not want to hold still for me.)

4. Soon2BChixMom

Soon2BChixMom Crossing the Road

Jan 8, 2017
    NE Indiana
    My Coop
    Awe. I don't know much about crested ducks, but can you trim his crest?

5. no you cant trim the crest it is a fatty deposit over a hole in the skull. crested ducks only have a crest because of a genetic fault

Soon2BChixMom likes this.
  6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member 8 Years

Can it be trimmed seems you'd be able to feel the fatty tissue and not cut it. Poor baby needs to be able to see. That's a huge crest for sure a little one.

Soon2BChixMom and sourland like this.
  7. ChickyMcduckerton

May 9, 2018
    I don't think I can. It sort of feels like a marshmallow so I don't know where flesh meet feather. Also, he doesn't hold still. Last thing I wanna do is hurt him.

Soon2BChixMom and Miss Lydia like this.
  8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member 8 Years

What about vet wrap it sticks to itself and can be trimmed to size width wise?

ChickyMcduckerton likes this.
  9. Soon2BChixMom

Soon2BChixMom Crossing the Road

Jan 8, 2017
    NE Indiana
    My Coop
    I knew what it was caused by, just didn't know if the feathers could be trimmed.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member 9 Years

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Huge crest indeed. In some cases, excessive feathering can be trimmed, but that's not the situation here. My gut says that the only solution would be surgical removal of a large part of the crest by a veterinarian, and I'm not certain that is a possibility.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: