Duck with a pulled in neck!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Chatychick, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    I have a duck that has started pulling in her neck and walks and eats without extending her neck out, well i believe its a her. What could be causing this and will she stop soon or is it something that wont go away? It wont try to swim either. Its about 4 months old and the others arent doing this. I have heard that they can get what is called crooked neck. Is it fatal or will they finally let their neck out or does it cause them lots of pain? I know I have asked alot of questions, but this is the first I have seen this and am at a loss here. I know the older drake has tried to breed with it and thought maybe he hurt her in some way. I have seen her reach out a little to eat their feed and to drink water. Any help out there will help greatly as my DIL is worried about her duck. Thanks

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Can you post a pic?

My ducks do that when they are interested in a drake, flirting. They pull in their necks and make quacky noises.
    Also when they are broody, they do the Hunchback of Notre Dame imitation.

3. Chatychick

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    She has been doing this for almost a week now and it seems she is starting to list to the side now is what I saw this morning...Im not sure the others do this but its when they are courting each other but she stays this way with it pulled in and only lets if half way out to feed or drink. Its got me stumped... She was fine last week but DIL saw it and brought it to my attention...will try to get a picture

4. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    It is possible then to be a mating injury or sore muscles. Can you separate her? It will give her a rest and let her muscles get back to normal.

5. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Have you checked the crop to see if feels really hard?

6. Chatychick

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    Not yet but she seems to be eating and drinking well and its raining out so going to wait till it stops.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by