Duck with a SINUS INFECTION???

linda85

In the Brooder
12 Years
Dec 2, 2007
Help! Our 2mo. old duck is having some mucus discharge from his nostrils and now has a soft bump about the size of a pea where the flesh meets the bill.

He is a very noisy breather and was wondering if this sounds normal and/or what could it be and if there is something I should do.

His eyes are clear, and he is eating/drinking like usual. What kind of nostril problems can ducks get ??
hmm.png

Thanks for all info.

Linda

Out here in Australia a few years ago there was a fellow selling ducks at a market that had the symptoms your duck has. Unfortunately because he did nothing to treat these ducks they ended up with abscesses from infection in the sinus area and most of them did not survive. I bought a number of them over time when I saw them for sale hoping to fix them up- however only one was able to be saved. The first was a very young duckling- The second was Brendon. He lived until fully grown- but despite receiving treatment the abscess grew inwards and was blocking off his windpipe- so I had to have him put to sleep. the third was Harvey- he was the worst- and oldest when I bought him. I took him straight to the vet and after 5 months on antibiotics and three operations he was actually cured. He did cost me over $1000 - but he is alive today.

It may just be fluid at this stage causing the bump- but I would recommend a course of antibiotics just to guard against infection setting in. If it does get infected your duck could well get an abscess form - so preventative measures would be best at this stage rather than trying to treat later. Ducks can inhale something that can cause an infecting in the sinuses- thats why it is so important to provide them with plenty of water for cleaning there nostrils and face.

I hope its nothing more than a bit of a cold at this stage..I dont mean to frighten you with my post...just giving you a worst case scenario.

that does point to sinus infection; bad part is, IF he in fact has it.............
should he be cured by spending xx dollars and lots of time on antibiotics, etc. he will in all likelihood remain a carrier of the resp. illness FOREVER. Yes, that is usually how it is with respiratory illnesses.
chooks are walking petri dishes, ducks rarely get them, but even if a bird is so-called cured, reincidence can happen any time, other birds infected---bad bad bad.

you must isolate this bird asap, if you really wanna protect your other birds. often such birds are just put down rather than weakening the whole flock by having a carrier in it..............
sorry

Back
Top Bottom