Duck with a swollen foot

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckydummie, Jan 24, 2014.

1. duckydummie

duckydummie New Egg

Jan 24, 2014
    Just got 5 ducks. First night 4 got eaten now my poor lone Muscovy has a swollen foot. He is walking on it but its all swelled and frozen up. Problem is he is scared of me and I can't catch him. Is there anything I can do without catching him?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  2. duckydummie

duckydummie New Egg

Jan 24, 2014
    He seems to be favoring it a little but he is still putting some weight on it. He is free range and can half fly. He has a warm pen full of straw but he don't go in there. He stays at the crick.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Some how you need to get him in that pen, that way you can catch him and check his foot out. If there's is infection and it's not treated it could kill him. Does he like whole corn/bread? something he really likes may get him inside the pen. show it too him or call him and toss a bit in front of him then take he rest inside the pen towards far end of pen so when he goes in he's away from the gate, then just walk up and close the gate. Since you already lost 4 to a pred and this one can't walk or fly very well he's
    the next food supply to what ever it was. Take a towel with you so when you pick him up you can wrap him in the towel to check out his foot less fighting to get away. I'd not let him free range till he is healed of what ever is going on. Plus it will teach him you care. When you get him take some pics and post them so we can actually see whats going on. Good luck another thing if you can get him away from the creek and can get someone to help you maybe able to walk slowly behind him and guide him into the pen especially if he is having a hard time walking.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I agree with Miss Lydia.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by