Duck with beak injury and seems to have brain issues since birth

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by collisinana, Oct 3, 2012.

1. collisinana

collisinana Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2012
    We bought 14 eggs from a hatchery only two pekins ended up hatching one was perfectly fine, but the other seems to have some sort of brain issue. She stumbles over her feet like she's drunk and often get flipped over. I've noticed that she seems to be favoring her left foot and sometimes even lifts up her right foot. She's also much whiter than the other even though she is younger. A while ago I noticed the fluff around her oil gland was very yellow, yet she has no oil on the rest of her body. The puff on her face is always caked down and her beak is orange unlike all the other ducklings (we ordered more day- old pekins from a hatchery) She always keeps her chest very high, almost like a runner duck and then wobbles on her heels. Yesterday I found her covered in blood and on her back. I took her inside and rinsed off the blood and found a slice underneath her beak. I kept her inside for a while and then kept her confined outside in one of the nest boxes with a little water. I'm not sure if she drank any water over the night, but in the morning she escaped and started eating and drinking. She seems very tired, but I'm not sure what to do about her. How long will it take for the wound to heal? Also do you have any ideas about the stumbling?

2. I'm bumping this post back to the top so others can see it. Welcome to BYC and good luck!

3. collisinana

Oct 3, 2012
    Thanks. I'm thinking it's somewhat of a hopeless case, but I'm just trying to make her last days as comfortable as I can for her.

4. Bumping this again. Hopefully it's just something easy to cure-- I've heard vitamin deficencys can cause brain issues. [​IMG]

5. collisinana

Oct 3, 2012
    Yeah, I thought that might be the case so I added some vitamins in their water, I stayed on it for a while. At first it seemed to help her, but now it's much worst and the vitamins aren't helping. Not to mention, they splash around more water than they drink.

6. collisinana

Oct 3, 2012
    Well, The duck ended up dying after all. She had a good life though. :(

7. Brinsea

Brinsea New Egg

Dec 1, 2012
    So sorry for your loss ;(

8. collisinana

Oct 3, 2012
    Thank you [​IMG]