Duck with Brief Wing Paralyzed: Does anyone know what this is?

mist3005

Hatching
Jan 19, 2017
Georgia
I could not get the video to post here, so I had to upload it to youtube.
This is the 2nd day my female welsh harlequin duck is having a wing issue. Any information is helpful. Thanks.

I could not get the video to post here, so I had to upload it to youtube.
This is the 2nd day my female welsh harlequin duck is having a wing issue. Any information is helpful. Thanks.

I don't believe her wings are an issue... has she laid an egg in the last 2 days? It looks like she may be eggbound to me... you can gently palpate her abdomen and feel for an egg...

Bring her in for a nice warm bath... if she is eggbound you need to give her some extra calcium... calcium gluconate works best, but even some crushed Tums would work... might need to oil her vent a bit too, to help her ease the egg out...

@Amiga
@Miss Lydia

Any other ideas or tips, please?

I don't believe her wings are an issue... has she laid an egg in the last 2 days? It looks like she may be eggbound to me... you can gently palpate her abdomen and feel for an egg...

Bring her in for a nice warm bath... if she is eggbound you need to give her some extra calcium... calcium gluconate works best, but even some crushed Tums would work... might need to oil her vent a bit too, to help her ease the egg out...

@Amiga
@Miss Lydia

Any other ideas or tips, please?
I am thinking the same possibly egg bound. This can be life threatening so I hope you took @RavynFallen suggestions.
You need to keep her inside make sure she has a chance to float in warm water bath as often as possible being relaxed can help the egg come out. If you decide to go into her vent make sure to lubed your finger up and gently feel for the egg you don't want to accidently break it.
How is she this morning? @mist3005

She laid an egg everyday. I gave her a warm bath this morning, hopefully it will help. The food I feed her has calcium in it and I have a bag of oyster shell crumble I also give her. I will give her a crushed-up Tums when I get back home. Thank you.

She laid an egg everyday. I gave her a warm bath this morning, hopefully it will help. The food I feed her has calcium in it and I have a bag of oyster shell crumble I also give her. I will give her a crushed-up Tums when I get back home. Thank you.
Since she laid can you tell a difference in how she is walking and holding herself?

Also is there any chance she could have gotten into anything toxic? can she hold her neck and head straight?

She is still having the same symptoms. We haven't had an issue until now. The only thing I can think we have been doing different for the past couple months is putting her in a chicken house at night. My father sprayed flex seal on the trays to seal around the edges. I spray the trays down everyday. When I get home I'll check the ingredients. My father thought she was eating to much dirt...mud..but I dont think thats it. Someone suggested she could have a bacterial infection.

She is still having the same symptoms. We haven't had an issue until now. The only thing I can think we have been doing different for the past couple months is putting her in a chicken house at night. My father sprayed flex seal on the trays to seal around the edges. I spray the trays down everyday. When I get home I'll check the ingredients. My father thought she was eating to much dirt...mud..but I dont think thats it. Someone suggested she could have a bacterial infection.
I'd think if she was egg bound she'd be dead by now if she hadn't laid it. Something possibly in the spray? are the rest of the ducks in there too? Poultry are very sensitive to chemicals. What about eating something toxic ?

@mist3005 can you take her to a vet?

Last edited:
Yes, I will in the morning.
Please update when you find out what is going on.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom