Duck with broken leg on craigslist

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TracyZ, Nov 14, 2014.

1. TracyZ

TracyZ Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2014
    Hi group,

I recently saw a posting on craigslist that someone is giving away a duck that has a broken leg. I'm curious if anyone on here has treated a duck with a broken leg, if this is even possible, what was the process and was it expensive?

I feel really bad for this poor duck and want to go get her and save her but we currently have huge vet bills and can't afford another vet expense right now. We have two big dogs with cancer that receive chemo and it is extremely expensive.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tracy

2. Buck Oakes

Buck Oakes Chillin' With My Peeps

um this is a tough situation, sometimes ( if very lucky like if your a 96% lucky person) with rest and no movement the ducks leg can heal by itself, sometimes a simple splint can be used like a popsicle stick, tape and gauze, or even a straw, tape and gauze.but if its really bad then she/ he needs an X-ray, if the bone is protruding from the skin then thats a vet operation, birds legs can be fragile.

3. TracyZ

TracyZ Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2014
    Thanks for the information. I'm trying to get in touch with the person that posted the duck on craigslist to see if she can tell me more about the duck's broken leg and did also find a local vet (about 1.5 hours away) that works with ducks.

Thanks,
    Tracy

4. Buck Oakes

cool :) i hope she will be alright

5. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    I hope you get it soon, the poor thing...I'm kinda miffed at the person who made the post, letting the animal suffer while waiting who knows how long to find a new owner, rather than just get it the help it needs.

6. Buck Oakes

people can be very cruel, but then again we don't know the situation, maybe the person is giving to duck away because she/he can help it like, what if the person is old and can't get outside to help it?, i mean there are many factors.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by