Duck with Bumblefoot (Warning Viewer Discretion Is Advised)

DiamondSwan

Free Ranging
6 Years
Sep 18, 2015
Tracto-chick-oholic
One of my little duckies has a big fat swollen foot and I don't know why! I don't know how long it's been like that either because I have so many duckies. I've soaked his foot in Epsom salt and made sure he didn't drink it. I plan on doing this a couple times a day. Does anyone know what could of caused this and if I can do anything else for him?

Poor baby :(

@Miss Lydia

Last edited:
Ok, I've got an appointment for 2:00 tomorrow. casportpony, you were right on for the exam-$55. The treatment price will vary, so we'll see. You know what's crazy? It took me hours to find the courage to make that phone call, but I can talk my head off when I write! My hands are still shaking! I don't know why I'm so scared to talk to people when I used to be really good at making friends with people. I was sitting in the bathroom just staring at the phone number lol. I finally decided to be brave, took a walk outside, and hit the call button. When I do talk to people, I put on a poker face, that's why a lot of people wouldn't think I am shy if they saw me. They think I'm stuck up, which is totally unfair. I'm home schooled, so I don't see a lot of people besides my 9 siblings and parents. I'm 15, and the oldest child :/

If he were mine I would make the hole on the bottom of the foot larger and check for more pus. If I didn't find more pus there, I would make a hole on the top and look around.

-Kathy

Thanks K, this is sure not for the squeamish . So a sharp scalpel would be needed. Wouldn't there be alot of blood?

Items I would have:

Sharp, sterile scalpel
Sterile water or saline
Chlorhexadine or betadine
Gauze pads
Gauze rolls
Vetwrap
Antibiotics
Stypic powder

This is probably not a task for just anyone. Anyone trying it would need to read up on wound care and look at pictures of how vets wrap this sort of wound.

-Kathy

These are the care instructions for Igor. I wanted to share to help other people that have a duck with Bumblefoot if they can't afford to go to the vet, and even if it is extreme, at least they would know what they're getting themselves into:

This is what we got from CVS pharmacy:

Last edited:
Glad you were able to do it, and don't feel bad, I know lots of adults that have a really hard time making phone calls. Good luck there tomorrow!

-Kathy
Same here @DiamondSwan very proud of you for making that call, and you would be surprised how many of us on here[adults] have that problem.
hugs.gif

Looking forward to hearing what all the vet says..

The doctor was feeling around his foot and said she could feel a hard lump. I asked if it was Bumblefoot, and she said yes, and that it's caused by walking on hard surfaces like cement, putting more weight on one foot if they hurt themselves, and getting things stuck in their foot. If something's stuck in their foot, the infection is caused by wet bedding and poop getting into the puncture. She said his foot needed to be lanced. If he was put under Anastasia, it would have costed $220 including the exam. I asked if there was a cheaper option and the doctor said that she could try to numb his foot to get the pus out, and not include some things so it would cost $160, but if he doesn't hold still, he'd need to be put under Anastasia. So we went with the later. The doctor asked us if we would rather wait in the other room, or stay and watch. She said there would be a lot of blood and pus, but we were ready for it. The guy held Igor against his chest and and held his feet for the doctor. She cleaned his foot with chlorohexadine, and poked a needle in a couple different places on his foot to numb it. She went into the hole that was already there on the bottom of his foot, and stretched it out a little. She pulled out a couple balls of pus. She then cut into the top of his foot and pulled out "mounds" of pus. I have got to say, this could not have been done at home. There was a lot of blood. She cut a hole all the way through his foot, so she could flush it out with saline and would come out the other side. She cut two squares of sterile antibacterial non-stick pads and put them on each wound, then rapped his foot with gauze pad, vet rap that can stick to itself, and some "duck" tape to water proof. She said to change the bandage every three days and keep his foot dry, and when I change it, I have to use a wet cloth and make sure both wounds stay open. If there's a scab, it needs to come off so that it doesn't get infected again. She said to use deluted betadine solution to flush it out. She said to keep the bandage on until new skin is under the scab. I have to give him pain medication that also reduces swelling for a week, and antibiotics for 2 weeks. The guy showed me how to give them both to Igor. I asked if the infection can spread to humans and he said you could get the pus all over you and it wouldn't spread, but that he didn't recommend it lol. The antibiotics they gave us is Trimethoprim Sulfa broken into 1/4 tablets (dosage is based on weight.) I have to give it to him every 12 hours. I have pictures of the blood and pus if you guys wanna see it. I'm warning you, it's a lot of blood and pus that's really disgusting.

Last edited:
Thank you Julie! It's not that hard, really. I've been having so much fun learning so much and taking care of him. There's some amazing people here on BYC helping me, and I couldn't have done it without them. Oh and guess what, I have to give him antibiotics for a few weeks, so I get to take him with us on vacation! I figured out a way for all the animals to have food and water for 2 weeks. We live in Georgia, and my 9 siblings, parents, Igor, and I are driving up in our big 15 passenger van to Ohio to visit family and friends a few days after Christmas! I'm so excited!
You're welcome. I totally agree, Destiny. There are some amazing and kind people here. That is so cool you are taking him with you. He'll love it. I think it will be a hoot having him in the van with you as you all drive up to Ohio. I can only imagine him chortling and making little noises and just being a cute duck for the drive. If you can, please take pictures of him in the vehicle in his basket or whatever he pancakes in on the way up. I'd be so excited too to go on a fun holiday journey as you are.

Have a safe and fun time.

Back
Top Bottom