duck with cut foot

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by binji, Mar 31, 2017.

1. binji

binji Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    my scovy drake cut his foot and was limping around so i brought him inside. it doesn't seem very deep. what can i disinfect it with?

*he very much does not like to be touched, and i try my best to make sure that i dont do it often as it seems to stress him out and i dont want anymore self mutilation(feather pulling) or aggression(hes a mean boy) so a solution that requires minimal picking up/redressing would be appreciated greatly

**update**i cleaned his foot with warm water bc he wouldnt allow us to do much more and put him out in his coop, which i cleaned and just. stuffed with straw. i plan on cleaning it better and wrapping it when i can, but at this point i think it's scabbed over and just sore.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  2. Krazyquilts

Krazyquilts Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Blu-Kote is great for foot injuries. Or Vetericyn.

3. binji

Jul 2, 2016
    are there any other disinfectants i can use? would alcohol or peroxide be safe? im not sure how quickly i could get either of those

4. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

x2 on the Vetericyn. If the wound isn't too deep or dirty, you could just flush it with saline and keep an eye on it - my Muscovy occasionally step on sharp rocks/sticks/who knows what while out free ranging, and I typically don't intervene because they heal amazingly well (i.e., I've seen small cuts on the bottoms of their feet but none have become bumbles).

Hydrogen peroxide can damage tissue, so I don't use it on wounds. I think you'll be glad to have a wound healing spray like Vetericyn on hand if you do get some - it really comes in handy, especially since you can spray it on. I even spray it on myself if I get a cut while out in the field. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Krazyquilts

I've heard that peroxide isn't really recommended because it can destroy healthy bacteria too (or something? Can't really remember).

@Amiga suggests clear iodine (NOT brown) and I've had great results with that, thanks to her.

I think you can get stuff like I've mentioned on Amazon with two-day shipping. If nothing else, raw honey is a natural anti-bacterium so you could maybe try that if you can't get anything else. Make sure it's real honey, like something local, not that nasty store-bought stuff. (Disclaimer- I can't remember hearing of anyone using raw honey on ducks, but I can't think honey would be harmful.)

Does @Miss Lydia have any thoughts?

1 person likes this.
  6. Krazyquilts

I forgot to refresh my page and didn't see your post, @FoodFreedomNow. I wasn't trying to copy you, sorry. Great advice!:)

7. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

No worries! We're clearly just on the same page. [​IMG]

8. binji

Jul 2, 2016
    my boyo is fine now but thanks! i kept him in his coop for a day or so so he'd stay off of it and he healed up fine

9. Krazyquilts

That's wonderful to hear.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by