1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

duck with eye problems

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by pimento72, Nov 14, 2015.

1. pimento72

pimento72 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2015
    I have a duck who lives with my chickens. She is very talkative and my rooster loves her a little too much. She has survived so much. She is the only duck left the orginal clan. She has seen her sisters die to due to racoons. However now I have a new batte. her eyes. This has been going on off and on for weeks. at first i thought it was the water. so i was cleaning her eyes every chance i got with warm water. Then is looked infected. So i used what i had left (from myself) of an eye antibiotic. that seemed to work good but now im out. i got home from work yesterday and the one eye was a bubble of puss. im so sad. i immediatelly cleaned boith of her eyes with warm water. i called a local vet and they dont see chikens or ducks.i called a local pharmaacu and i need a scrpt for medicated eye drops.. has anyone else gone through this??

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  3. pimento72

Jul 23, 2015
    Thank you. She does have access to clean water. I change it daily and i am pulling from the pen to clean her eys additionally. I was able to buy some antibiotic ointment for her eyes today after trying a few places. i will try the diluted saline solution too. thank you.

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Please keep us updated. [​IMG]

5. pimento72

Jul 23, 2015
    Well we are on day 2 of applying eye ointment. Lola hates it. I clean her eyes before putting it. She still cant open her one eye. I am applying first thing in morning and then right before bed so she is less distressed. Hopefully I will see some improvement in the next few days. Meanwhile she is still chatty, eating and drinking up a storm. She is the smallest of my ducks so she is a little spoiled. I hope she can overcome this. I feel so bad i know it must be killing her.

6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Remember if the infection has gotten any deeper than skin deep she is going to need oral or injectable antibiotics.

7. pimento72

Jul 23, 2015
    How do I know if the infection is deeper than the skin? Her one is pretty bad but I am seeing small improvements in both eyes after only 3 days using the ointment 2 times a day.

8. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I don't think there is a way to be sure, especially without a vet. I understand if a vet is not an option, really I do. We need to go with our instincts sometimes. Systemic infection is tough to be sure of with ducks.

9. pimento72

Jul 23, 2015
    Initially I wanted to take her to a vet but I cannot find someone local to see my chickens or ducks. im going to have to do further research is this eye does not clear up. my biggest fear is that she lost her eye. every day i look for progress. like i said she is still eating and drinking and she knows she gets a treat after every eye application.. so time will tell. thank you so much for helping me

10. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by