Duck with foot issue. Peeling skin maybe bumble foot frost bite or something else

hayleyasaurus

Songster
11 Years
Feb 13, 2011
East Windsor
Hi! My duck Holly has been dealing with bumble foot issues for years now. Currently her left foot is healed of all bumbles. I noticed that some of the webbing on her feet starting getting a little peely so I put the bumble medicine on there while treating her last bumble on her other foot. Shortly after that, she cut her foot up badly on the edge of her left foot. To take care of her I sprayed the cuts with vetericyn and put ssd cream on. The cuts are almost completely healed, but I stopped using the vetericyn because I noticed her whole foot getting peely and a bit redish looking. I’m not sure if she also sprained her ankle (unfortunately she’s done that a lot too). But now she’s holding her left foot in the air and limping a bit. I have no idea what’s going on with her, but I brought her inside so she can rest and keep warm. I live in nj and it has been cold, but I’ve been letting them sleep inside when it’s gotten to the lower teens. In the pen they have a small warmer and a plastic house with straw that they don’t really use. I added a photo so you can hopefully see the peeling and see what you think!
Thank you!
Hayley

Attachments

• 65C8C0F7-6573-42A3-8513-B5B696620A5E.jpeg
    65C8C0F7-6573-42A3-8513-B5B696620A5E.jpeg
    536.6 KB · Views: 29
P.s. she was also super excited to get out of the pen today and did a big jump and fly and landed after the snow. I first noticed the limping/holding the foot up after that so idk if she just got hurt then and needs to rest it. There’s a lot going on with her so I figured I’d ask!
Thanks!

I do appreciate the xerosis (dryness) of the webbing and the callusing appearing near the left side of her foot, but it doesn't appear particularly severe - in the winter, for a bird that has, its feet in direct contact with ground 24/7 you're going to expect some of that.

I would stop applying ointment or spray to her feet for the time being since the cool moisture on her feet could be creating some minor devitalization of the tissue due to the cold weather. In her coop attempt to strive for deep, dry, soft bedding.

As far as her limp, if it occurred subsequent to her playing around, it possible it developed then. Simply reducing her movement, and letting her body heal itself should suffice as far as treatment.

I do appreciate the xerosis (dryness) of the webbing and the callusing appearing near the left side of her foot, but it doesn't appear particularly severe - in the winter, for a bird that has, its feet in direct contact with ground 24/7 you're going to expect some of that.

I would stop applying ointment or spray to her feet for the time being since the cool moisture on her feet could be creating some minor devitalization of the tissue due to the cold weather. In her coop attempt to strive for deep, dry, soft bedding.

As far as her limp, if it occurred subsequent to her playing around, it possible it developed then. Simply reducing her movement, and letting her body heal itself should suffice as far as treatment.
Thank you! Sounds like a plan and not too serious. Do you have a good bedding recommendation? I removed the bedding this year besides a small amount of straw in their little house because Holly has had issues with it. The ducks liked the large pine flake from tractor supply but Holly got all the tiny pieces up her nose somehow and needed it to be drained by the vet. I’ve used straw as well but they don’t love it and the vet was worried it would irritate their feet and I was worried about the moisture. Thanks again!

Thank you! Sounds like a plan and not too serious. Do you have a good bedding recommendation? I removed the bedding this year besides a small amount of straw in their little house because Holly has had issues with it. The ducks liked the large pine flake from tractor supply but Holly got all the tiny pieces up her nose somehow and needed it to be drained by the vet. I’ve used straw as well but they don’t love it and the vet was worried it would irritate their feet and I was worried about the moisture. Thanks again!

Personally, I use straw, mixed with pine shavings for added moisture absorption - if the straw you're using is a little "rough" consider getting something like this , that's compressed, and cut up further than normal bales, so it's easier on their feet.

Back
Top Bottom