Duck with growth on nasal

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Jamal333, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Jamal333

Jamal333 New Egg

Sep 4, 2016
    I have a Pekin/Malard mix @ 3 months old. Yesterday, I noticed this growth on its nasal cavity. It looks like its coming out of the bill tissue but I'm no expert. Today, its slightly larger and is cracking and there is a little bit of blood. Can anyone tell me what it is?

[​IMG]

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

I have no idea what it could be.

-Kathy

3. julieholt

julieholt Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2016
    from what ive been looking up it could be a bacterial infection that may have started from a cut people have suggested to try epsom salt solution in a flannel or kitchen towel over the area. IM NOT A VET OF ANY KIND but i would recommend taking him to see a vet to make sure its not more as its got larger and started to crack.
    sorry i cant be of more help hope he gets better soon

4. FARMER3112

FARMER3112 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2016
    California
    Something could be stuck my ducks never had the problem [​IMG] check it out....

5. Jamal333

Jamal333 New Egg

Sep 4, 2016
    I have put antibiotic creme on it for now and drained the duck pool since the ducks tend to dirty it so quickly. I don't see anything stuck in its nasal cavity but that doesn't mean there isn't anything there and it got infected. I will check on it tomorrow and look up a vet.

6. julieholt

julieholt Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2016
    Awsome keep us updated hope all works out well.

7. Jamal333

Jamal333 New Egg

Sep 4, 2016
    Yesterday, it got bigger, cracked open more and bled. About 90% of the nostril was blocked and since it was a holiday, the vet wasnt an option unless we drive 70 miles, one way, and pay for emergency care prices. We decided to clean it and see if it was something we could lance or drain, if necessary. As we were cleaning it, we found that some of the cracked pieces were barely attached. We removed some of these pieces, which gave us a better area to clean out and look at the wound. We couldnt see any obvious infection and aside from a little bleeding. We opted not to lance it and see if the swelling would go down which it did. Not sure we fixed the problem but it seemed to open up the nasal opening a little bit. We are hoping that we, at least, alleviated some of the pressure and it can start to heal. My girlfriend took a look at it this morning and told me it was looking better today. She cleaned it again and put more antibiotic creme on it. I will take a look at it today when I get home from work and decide if we I need to make an appointment.

The duck is acting completely normal, eating, drinking and didnt seem to be in any pain when we cleaned the wound. I'm not opposed to spending money on a vet so I think I will make the appointment anyway. She probably needs some kind of antibiotic medicine. I'm guessing, the problem could still there since nothing burst or oozed out.

I will update when I have one.

Thanks everyone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by