Duck with healed broken femur but atrophied tendons

Dnewell

Hatching
May 15, 2021
I got two ducklings on April 4th on April 7th my little girl duckling (webbigail) passed away. She had a wet bottom, and an umbilical cord still attached to her and she was much more yellow than her siblings.
On April 24th after my surviving duckling launchpad (male) had a bath I was bringing him back to his enclosure when my cat was circling my feet and I fell down the stairs with LP and he ended up breaking his femur. 3 weeks later the cast is off but the vet told me because he was so young and he grew a lot his muscles and tendons in his broken leg have atrophied.
It’s been two days without his cast, some subtle movement in the leg. The vet told me tips and what to do for physio at home but as a first time duck owner I am overwhelmed and would love any feedback from the community!! Thank you so much!

3F745476-48F4-47AA-B15A-79C1F9332898.jpeg
DFEFB1EE-F950-4988-9F53-AB40EDF3557F.jpeg

Warm water baths where he can have pressure off but move the leg. Best way to build back muscle. Also some massage may help after swim time.
Thank you Miss Lydia!! Any advice on what to do if he doesn’t want to use his bad leg in the water?
I try holding his good leg in so he doesn’t have much of a choice but the muscles must be so weak he can barely move it.

Hopefully as you keep doing the warm soak she will begin to use it. Maybe while in the water move the leg in range of motion the way the leg would normally move.

Back
Top Bottom