Duck with hurt foot, how to treat? *PIC*

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kysilkies, Jan 20, 2010.

1. kysilkies

kysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Elizabethtown, KY
    We have a duck with a hurt foot, how do we treat this area?

Thank you very very much in advance!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Hi! Sorry to see your duck is hurt [​IMG]

There is a thread on Sunny (the Pekin duck) with bumblefoot (foot infection).

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=286388

Looks like you discovered the wound early, before infection (I hope), which is what bumblefoot is. But following the advice on the thread for Sunny should help you out.

Essentially, you want to do what you can to keep the wound clean (I know, it is not easy with ducks - but you can do it - see what others have done). You can also use a topical antibiotic (without painkiller), and either "shoes" or socks or bandages to cover and protect the wound. Some recommend a foot bath.

If it is serious, it is good to have a vet look at it. You may want to contact your vet in any case, to give them a heads-up.

3. Duck_feeder

Duck_feeder Drowning in feathers!

Oct 22, 2009
    Chicago
    Do you know how your duck got hurt? Obviously the immediate need is to treat the wound, but it's also very important to determine the cause to prevent it from happening again.

4. Shadowhills Farm

Shadowhills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Crystal River, Fl
    Aww sorry to hear that about the foot [​IMG]

Hopefully it isn't too serious....

I would recommend going to Sunny the Pekin's thread. She has a case of Bumblefoot, but Duck_feeder put up a GREAT and HELPFUL thread about soaking and keeping the foot clean.

Just had to soak and wrap my Pekins' foot tonight because of possible Bumblefoot or fungal infection.

Good luck and keep us posted!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by