Duck with injured beak! Help.

Joliver1990

Hatching
May 21, 2018
My 2 month old Pekin duck woke me up this morning covered in blood. His nail on the end of his beak is almost completely torn off. No vets in the area will see ducks. I’ve rinsed twice today with saline solution. I’m not sure what else to do! He is bleeding quite a bit!

Attachments

• E7E1584C-3F74-4B9B-8E44-E5A020F58C2E.jpeg
    E7E1584C-3F74-4B9B-8E44-E5A020F58C2E.jpeg
    460.1 KB · Views: 211
Do you have blood stop? If not flour is suppose to stop bleeding. Also put some apple cider vinegar to the bucket of water 1 tablespoon to a gal of fresh water. It can aid in healing once blood stops
I just applied flower to the beak. It’s my first time raising ducks and I’m just not sure what else I can do. I’ve seen many ducks heal from serious beak injuries but it’s hard to be hopeful when it’s your own duck

Has the bleeding slowed? Yes I am pretty sure this will heal as long as he keeps from doing what ever he did in the first place. Just make sure to keep his water as clean as possible the ACV will help kill some bacteria and diesn’tburn Or sting at that strength. You might want to give him soupy fed for a few days so it’s easier to eat.

I’ve been pulling him out to rinse with saline but it seems every time I interact with him is when the bleeding starts to reoccur. At this being said I don’t know if I should continue to intervene if it prompts bleeding.

You could use cornstarch instead of flour if you don't have the quick stop, but not sure either will work since the duck is going to dip it's bill in the water. I wonder if you could wrap it with vet wrap?
The acv in the water is a good idea and maybe get some vetricyn spray to keep it from getting infected.
@CayugaJana Do you have any suggestions?

I bet there is a good blood supply to the bill. And is probably why it’s bleeding so much. Just leave it and it will stop bleeding. I would only intervene if it starts to get infected. Don’t get disheartened. It will heal. Tell him to quit putting his bill where it doesn’t belong...:lau

Back
Top Bottom