Duck with injured wing

HGeurink

Hatching
Sep 10, 2018
I have a 6 month old drake with an injured wing. It hangs down and he acts like he can’t fold it all the way in ( it won’t lay flat against his body). Should I try wrapping it back into a normal position or let it be?

Attachments

• 2D39AC42-B38B-40E0-B438-0118D0895803.jpeg
    2D39AC42-B38B-40E0-B438-0118D0895803.jpeg
    569.1 KB · Views: 47
  • A0D306AD-1805-459F-B921-0721A3BBE51C.jpeg
    A0D306AD-1805-459F-B921-0721A3BBE51C.jpeg
    497.8 KB · Views: 15
I have a 6 month old drake with an injured wing. It hangs down and he acts like he can’t fold it all the way in ( it won’t lay flat against his body). Should I try wrapping it back into a normal position or let it be?
Welcome to BYC! Have you examine it yet for fractures and/or wounds? That's where I would start. Examine him and let us know which bone or joint is involved.

Reason asking if he can try it may not be a good idea to wrap because wrapping may make the wing muscles weaker.If he movesit and exercisesit that might help him get the strength back to where it will sit normally against his body. If a sprain they can take a while to heal I'd get him on some good Poultry vitamins just for support while healing. As long as there aren't any broken bones it's most likely a sprain. Not sure if you can do this but I also wonder if he may have flapped and hit something and brusied his wing @casportpony might be able to help you figure out how to check for bruises. any other drakes he may be fighting with?

There ya go, happened here too but with my gander and drake they always seem to get into it at the fence or end up at the fence busting up their wings . They manage to heal so hopefully your drake will to . We should be getting close to having our big sigh of relief as this breeding season begins to slow down lol.

Back
Top Bottom