Duck with injury is now off balance

kaumlauf

Crowing
13 Years
Nov 2, 2010
Cambridge Springs, PA
I will make a video of the drake trying to walk, but in the mean time, is there anything I can do? Two nights ago he was attacked by a critter that grabbed his head and neck. I didn't see much blood, but his head and neck were clearly bitten. He wasn't moving much yesterday when I found him, but this morning he is up, eating, and trying to walk, only he can't stay up, he keeps falling over, off balance. Hubby thinks I should put him out of his misery (dairy farmer and hunter), but I want to nurture him as best I can (artist and hippy animal lover). What say you, gentle folk?

He had a seizure in my hands two days ago. Today he is walking in a wobbly fashion, and has trouble getting his bill into the water container. One eye appears blinded. His neck is still sort of out of control.

Hi, there. Sorry to hear about your duck.

Could you upload a video of him to a video platform like youtube to vimeo, then copy/paste the link here? A few pictures of his wounds would be great as well.

A few questions,

What kind of treatment have you done so far, including caring for the wounds? Is he eating and drinking? Is he producing frequent stools, if yes, could you post a picture? If you move your hand slowly towards his bad eye, does he react in any way?

He had a seizure in my hands two days ago. Today he is walking in a wobbly fashion, and has trouble getting his bill into the water container. One eye appears blinded. His neck is still sort of out of control.
Hi, there. Sorry to hear about your duck.

Could you upload a video of him to a video platform like youtube to vimeo, then copy/paste the link here? A few pictures of his wounds would be great as well.

A few questions,

What kind of treatment have you done so far, including caring for the wounds? Is he eating and drinking? Is he producing frequent stools, if yes, could you post a picture? If you move your hand slowly towards his bad eye, does he react in any way?
I ran his neck under running water to clean and check for a wound, and found no broken skin. His eye is definitely damaged. He's been eating and drinking a little all along and stools are plentiful...He walks off balance, and has lost some control of his neck, but he is walking around and acting normally. I now think he was injured by an aggressive drake in the flock. The flock is gone, and soon he will be relocated to a rescue farm. Thanks for asking.

His head hangs down and is twisted.

Attachments

• GEDC0848 (2).JPG
    GEDC0848 (2).JPG
    383.6 KB · Views: 47
Ouch, I would give him some more time if you can insure he's eating and drinking. You may have to hand feed him several times a day. I currently have a Saxony with a coyote bite to the neck. She held her head back on her back but upright. Its been about three weeks but she is better. She will need at least another week. I have had several predator neck injuries and it just took patience and special feeding. Though I've not had one like that. Mine have all pulled their heads back on their bodies.

I'm sorry, I was under the impression you were giving him away, that's why I stopped replying. How is he doing now? If he's not eating, you either need to get tube feeding supplies, get him to a vet or someone who has knowledge in avian medicine, or euthanize him. If you'd like to try and tube feed, I can help.

We were going to give him away, after he healed. He is too easily victimized by other drakes in his present state, so he is in isolation (from other ducks), he's in with the chickens (hens) now.. I haven't been out yet this morning to check on him. I'll let you know later how he is going.

Back
Top Bottom