Duck with kidney issues panting a lot.

Mar 7, 2021
Dose this have to do with his kidney issues? I recently got a rescue who has enlarged kidneys and he's been panting all day. His lungs were totally clear on x-ray and he was otherwise very healthy. I've had him in quarantine for 30 days and introduced him to the flock yesterday and right after introduction he started heavily panting.

Attachments

• PXL_20210407_173511838.jpg
    PXL_20210407_173511838.jpg
    679.9 KB · Views: 12
  • PXL_20210324_191140150.jpg
    PXL_20210324_191140150.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 5
I suggest you ask this question to your veterinarian as they likely have a better understanding of your ducks problem. If the breathing was/is only occurring during the day, when it's warm, the breathing could be simply attributed to overheating which is common with large breeds.

If you're noticing it throughout the day/night, excessively, the enlarged kidneys could be creating pressure on the lungs/ another scenario would be that the kidney issue is causing a fluid deficit which would likely affect the ability to maintain normothermia predisposing the bird to hyperthermia.

May I ask why you have the x-ray?
Was there a different reason you brought him to the vet?

Could the heavy breathing be because he is stressed?

May I ask why you have the x-ray?
Was there a different reason you brought him to the vet?

Could the heavy breathing be because he is stressed?
He had a suspected broken leg but it ended up just being a soft tissue injury. The vet said he should get better when he's on good food and water. The vet took a full body ex ray since it could've been something up higher causing him being off balance.

He had a suspected broken leg but it ended up just being a soft tissue injury. The vet said he should get better when he's on good food and water. The vet took a full body ex ray since it could've been something up higher causing him being off balance.
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom