1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Duck With Lame Leg (I think) Need Help

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by EilighsFarm, Dec 20, 2014.

1. EilighsFarm

EilighsFarm Chirping

Dec 20, 2014
    Hello,

Ok, so my problem is that I have a duck that I think has a lame leg.

Ever since it was a small duckling it walked funny now it can barely walk and, it can't lift itself off the ground.[​IMG]

It legs are like FLAT to the ground. It also popped open a blood vessel on one of its growing feather but now its all healed.[​IMG]

The duck also has what i think might be eye goop around its eyes. Ive treated it for worms and, that never helped. I just think its leg is lame.

The other hens peck it so i have to keep it separate.

If it does have a lame leg how can I help it? Can I do a special treatment? Help it be able to walk better or at least lift itself up?

Its only felt pain since it was a baby and quacks all the time in pain. Like whenever I walk by it quacks at me. In my mind its asking me to help it and, I don't know what to do. [​IMG]

It just makes me sad.[​IMG]

Any help?

-Thank you BYC community![​IMG]

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners 8 Years

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Well, a good duck vet would be best.

I feel that you have a special needs duck who probably would do best as an indoor duck, with a special sling for support. But at this point, someone who could really analyze the problem by looking the duck over is what I think would be worth the effort.

3. EilighsFarm

EilighsFarm Chirping

Dec 20, 2014
    Thanks for the support but, I have no duck vets around me. No where. Ive looked and asked pretty much every person thats come over

The ducks eyes are now foaming up. I feel as if its going to pass any day now. My problem with that is that if it passes it would pass in my room because, if i brought it inside thats where it would stay+house during the day.

Ive been thinking if I should spare the duck pain and put it down. Id have someone else that i know do it because, I can't. Should I put it down? Is their any other solution?

-thanks

4. EilighsFarm

EilighsFarm Chirping

Dec 20, 2014
    The duck does swim fine though

5. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Foamy eye comes from not being able to wash their heads. The solution is simple - for now, mist the eyes three or four times a day with saline or Vetericyn, and give the duck a bucket to wash in. You may need to help - if the duck swims fine, then twice a day lukewarm baths will likely help quite a bit.

1 person likes this.
  6. EilighsFarm

EilighsFarm Chirping

Dec 20, 2014
    Thankyou! Ive been giving it frequent baths and my vet for dogs/cats gave us some eye drops and medicine.

7. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Good! Please keep us updated!

8. EilighsFarm

EilighsFarm Chirping

Dec 20, 2014
    Will do!

9. andreacroyle

andreacroyle Songster

Apr 19, 2014
    Florida
    There is a site called Poultry pedia. Maybe someone has fhe link as my comp is on the fritz. I have a special needs ggoose that is an indoor bird. if there isnt a vet in your area. I suggest as much research as possible amd many hours on BYC. Story's guide to raising dduck migjt help to. Youlocal llibrary should have it. But honestly the bird needs an x-ray so you know what os going on. Any vet can do am xray. I suggest acquiring as much knowledge as possible before you go to the vet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: