Duck with legs opposite to splay leg?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Fraoch21, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Fraoch21

Fraoch21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Highlands, Scotland
    I have a duck that has trouble walking and 2 young ducks that seem to have the same problems. Their legs are too close together i think, its like the oppposite of splay leg, they stand on their feet and wobble a lot when they walk. The worst affected duck cannot run without falling over on every step and finds it hard walking any distance. Is there anyway to solve this, maybe a kind of backwards hobble so it keeps their feet apart rather than together? And what has caused this, a deformity with the hips maybe?

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    If they all came from the same source it is likely genetic (possibly passed along from parent to off spring). I dont know of anything to do for such an issue sorry. I wouldnt recommend allowing any of their eggs to hatch though.

3. Mike Winters

Mike Winters Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    maybe a splint to keep their legs separate . i have seen splints for ducklings with splay legs, maybe it will also work at keeping the legs apart.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    worth a try for sure.

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    In addition to trying a splint, I would make sure they are getting some vitamin supplements, just to help them develop more normally, and not leave nutritional deficiency as a risk on top of their leg issues.

Good for you for taking action!

6. Fraoch21

Apr 21, 2011
    Highlands, Scotland
    Thank you for all the replies :) the ducks are from different sources, the worst one i bought about a month ago and the ducklings i hatched myself from my own ducks which are healthy and have no leg problems.
    Is there any sort of mixture i can buy in the uk with vitamin supplements that i could add to all the poultrys food?
    In the ducklings, could it be to do with them not having much space when they were growing up? It is only now at 7 weeks old that ive let them out and they are able to walk around a lot before then they were always in a small shed, but i havent had problems before when raising ducklings that way?
    I will look into splints but i imagine it culd be quite hard to make something that will keep their legs apart, i can try :)

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Poultry vitamins found at local feed store or on line. I don't know if your using duck feed for your ducklings, but chick feed doesn't have near the niacin that ducklings need to have strong legs, some need more than others too. So in expensive niacin capsules found at most Pharmacies can be bought and added to drinking water too, not the flush free or time released though. not sure about their not being able to walk around alot, but I would think exercise would be important for ducklings to help with strength in their legs.

8. Fraoch21

Apr 21, 2011
    Highlands, Scotland
    Ok thank you, they will have enough exercise now they are out and about. I fed them chick crumbs like other ducklings untill they were about a month old them moved them onto layers pellets and bruised barley. Maybe since these are the first ducklings of their breed ive raised, they need more vitamins which i wasnt supplying them with. When i give them the vitamins is there a chance the legs will fix themselves or might this be permanent.

9. Fraoch21

Apr 21, 2011
    Highlands, Scotland
  10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    According to label the first is from hatch to 3-4 weeks so the latter would be best choice. and depending on age will usually tell if you get them the right nutrients if it will help. Most adult ducks it's too late but it may still help some I wouldn't give up till tried. If you can google Metzers website you'll find an article on ducklings and niacin deff. very good one too. I'll see if I can locate it. I had it in my book marks http://metzerfarms.blogspot.com/2011/03/are-my-ducklings-leg-problems-due-to.html

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by