duck with possible dislocated hip

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RevaT1987, Apr 24, 2017.

1. RevaT1987

RevaT1987 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2017
    Ft. McCoy, Florida
    I will start off by saying I have a little knowledge about animal medical care, I have been a vet tech for a long time, but ducks and chickens I am totally clueless with LOL We went out of town Friday night and came home Sunday. While we were gone my dad came over to check on the chickens and ducks he said Saturday afternoon they were all up and walking around and Sunday morning the ducks were all just laying in the corner (same corner I found the duck in) but seemed fine, we got home about 6 hours later and found one of the ducks with a fish hook stuck all the way through his foot (the meat part, not the webbing) the leg was pulled behind him because the hook had a lot of line attached that was wrapped around some roots and vines in the pen. I could tell he was like that for a while, he had ripped the skin trying to free himself and was tired and stressed from struggling. I quickly got the line free from the vines and brought him inside and numbed the area with lidocaine and removed the fish hook and had to place a stitch in the bottom of his foot to stop the bleeding. Luckily I keep all these things on hand. At first he could not walk at all, it took him about a hour to just stand with assistance, but I think he was just weak from struggling for so long. We kept him inside last night and by this morning he is up and walking, does not seem to be in pain but he is walking with a limp, you can tell his leg is out of the joint. He kinda drags his toes when he does walk and when I feel the leg, I can't feel a break but the hip feels like it sticks out farther than the other side. I have spoke to the vet I used to work for and he wasn't much help. Basically he said to leave it because he didn't know how to put it back in socket. Can anyone help me figure out what to do? I will attach pics in the comments if the site will let me, but you can really see it in the video but I don't think I can post a video.

2. RevaT1987

Mar 16, 2017
    Ft. McCoy, Florida
    [​IMG]

3. RevaT1987

Mar 16, 2017
    Ft. McCoy, Florida
    You can kinda see how his leg is angled funny in the 1st picture. I know its not the best pic but standing still you can't really notice it

4. RevaT1987

Mar 16, 2017
    Ft. McCoy, Florida
    If anyone could give me advice I would really appreciate it. I can't find a vet willing to see a duck and fix a dislocation. The vet I worked for has even called several of his contacts and we haven't had any luck.

5. BeeZoob

BeeZoob Just Hatched

Jan 14, 2015
    new jersey USA
    I have a female with what i believe is a dislocated hip also. I have been keeping her separated which helps but didn't cure her. Let me know if you find anything out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by