Duck with sprained ankle not getting better

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ducky16, May 25, 2010.

1. Ducky16

Ducky16 New Egg

Jul 16, 2009
    Hi,
    a few weeks ago I found my male indian runner hiding under a tree and his ankle was really swollen. I'm pretty sure it wasn't broken, and I couldn't find any external wounds, so I assumed it was a sprain. I penned him in the duck house so he could rest it up and made sure he got enough food. He seemed to be getting better for a while but now he's getting worse. He's still eating, but he can hardly walk. His ankle is still swollen. What should I do now? Help!

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Are your ducks on a waterfowl food? If they aren't are you adding niacin to their food? Waterfowl need a high level of niacin to keep leg problems from developing.

3. Ducky16

Ducky16 New Egg

Jul 16, 2009
    The ducks eat Purina Layer Pellets. I don't give them any niacin supplements. What can I do for his ankle? It's really swollen...

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

That doesn't have enough niacin for waterfowl in it. Get some niacin and sprinkle it on their food.

5. Ducky16

Ducky16 New Egg

Jul 16, 2009
    Okay, how much should I put per duck? I know it's toxic in large quantities so I don't want to give them too much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by