Duck With Swollen Cheek And Recessed Eye

Mimi13

fuhgettaboutit
Jan 6, 2018
Centre, AL
I noticed late yesterday my 6 mo old Welsh Harlequin duck’s right cheek was swollen causing her eye to recess and close. I noticed she wasn’t roaming around the yard with the others late in the day, but she had been just a few hours earlier. All 5 ducks free range in an enclosed yard along with my chickens.

I realize these pictures aren’t the clearest, but they do show the swelling. Her bottom eye lid is bare, no fluff or feathers. My initial thought was she had been stung/bitten, but I rubbed her feathers backward on her cheek looking for a bite mark and couldn’t find one. But then I wondered how in the world would a stinger reach through all that facial fluff.

Now here’s the scary part. When I first brought her inside there were a few tiny bubbles in the affected eye. I know MG will be mentioned and I hope beyond hope that isn’t the case. I’ve never had any bird in my flock present with MG symptoms. However, if worse comes to worse, how do I confirm such?
741B4226-D9AE-4806-9464-30D2832CDC78.jpeg
B5C0C4F9-0022-4525-AF02-04EA89DE71C8.jpeg

My old dog looking on and being thankful she isn’t the sick one.
AAE896F8-9EA6-4488-ACCE-68333B47BBB9.jpeg

I am able to open her eyelid and see her eyeball. Nothing strange other than the swelling making her eyeball recessed. Oh, and the initial bubbles I found. Before I put her back outside last night I put a string of Terramycin in her eye.

I took this clip of her this morning. Her cheek doesn’t appear any more swollen than yesterday. However, this morning she is scratching at the eye and also shaking her head.

I turned them out and all 5 ducks eventually made their way to my back door. My DH said he thought her eye was crusted over. Even though I had not noticed any crusting I went outside and got her to check. There was no crusting, but there were a few more bubbles.

Dear Lord (and BYCer’s), please help me figure out what’s wrong with my little Quinny. I have only had ducks for 6 months now.

(I apologize for the quality of the video. I do not know what could be causing the distorted nature.)

Hi Mimi and I'm sorry Quinny is out of sorts - sending you both hugs. :hugs

Is she eating and drinking still ? And has there been any changes to her poops ?

@Isaac 0 - can you help here please ?
Thank you HalfWay! Her poops seem as normal as a duck’s ever are. She pooped all over me last night and I thought I had the towel in the right spot to avoid it.

As far as eating/drinking, I fed her a few green peas last night when I brought her inside and when I put her back out, she drank some water. I haven’t noticed her doing either this morning, but I didn’t watch her for very long. She did lay her egg this morning though.

Good news on the egg laying as well as the eating !

I would feel inclined to separate her but so she and the others can still see each other so you can monitor her food and water intake.

I am hopeful she's 'just' been caught with a feather or grass seed enough for her eye to react, its good news that you can't see anything in there and the eye will sort itself out in time.

But I'm a newbie too ! Am hoping @Isaac 0 will have some more informed views !

MG could be tested for with swabs by a vet, the state poultry lab, or through a national lab by mail called Zoologix who will send you the swabs. You may want to start some antibiotics such as Tylosin in her water to treat MG. Pus may sometimes be expressed from the eye from a sinus infection. You can get Tylosin Tylan) here:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/
Other antibiotics such as Denagard, doxycycline, or oxytetracycline are also affective. You might also post on the duck forum for help.

MG could be tested for with swabs by a vet, the state poultry lab, or through a national lab by mail called Zoologix who will send you the swabs. You may want to start some antibiotics such as Tylosin in her water to treat MG. Pus may sometimes be expressed from the eye from a sinus infection. You can get Tylosin Tylan) here:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/
Other antibiotics such as Denagard, doxycycline, or oxytetracycline are also affective. You might also post on the duck forum for help.
Thank you @Eggcessive! I’ve read that many times over about where to have testing done...I think even from you. If only I could remember these things when I actually need them. I think my mind is being the first thing to go in my old age. :(

Sorry to hear about your duck.

If you want to go ahead and test for MG, go for it, but, before you get scared any, just realize it’s not all that common with Waterfowl as much as it is chickens. If only one side of the face is affected, I'd more inclined to think against it being MG too.

More likely IMO, is that she actually tried eating a bee or wasp, and it ended up stinging the inside of her mouth. Have you checked inside her mouth for anything abnormal? Sometimes direct trauma such as if she hit her eye against a branch may cause problems similar. If she were mine I’d just continue to monitor her closely. Make sure she’s eating and drinking enough. You could try giving her some Benadryl for the possibility that she got stung. Here is a dose for Benadryl.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dramine-for-poultry-under-construction.74175/

Sorry to hear about your duck.

If you want to go ahead and test for MG, go for it, but, before you get scared any, just realize it’s not all that common with Waterfowl as much as it is chickens. If only one side of the face is affected, I'd more inclined to think against it being MG too.

More likely IMO, is that she actually tried eating a bee or wasp, and it ended up stinging the inside of her mouth. Have you checked inside her mouth for anything abnormal? Sometimes direct trauma such as if she hit her eye against a branch may cause problems similar. If she were mine I’d just continue to monitor her closely. Make sure she’s eating and drinking enough. You could try giving her some Benadryl for the possibility that she got stung. Here is a dose for Benadryl.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dramine-for-poultry-under-construction.74175/
Thank you very much for this info! I didn’t even think about a sting from inside her mouth, however I have always wondered how ducks could make snacks from all these stinging insects without being stung. I guess I know now...they can’t, unless they’re lucky. I have not looked in her mouth, but I will go get her now and look.

I am interested in giving her some Benadryl, however, I’m not quite sure what this is saying.

The Benadryl dose is 2 to 4 mg per kilogram. The liquid for children is 2.5 mg per ml.
2 mg/kg = 0.9 mg per pound = 0.36 ml per pound of body weight
4 mg/kg = 1.8 mg per pound = 0.73 ml per pound of body weight

Can anyone either elaborate or ‘dumb-it-down’ for me please?

Back
Top Bottom